Not taking 1 segment of award ticket = forfeit the whole thing?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by r0m8470, Mar 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, my apology if the question have been asked before.

I have an award ticket itinerary with AA, taking advantage of their free-stopover rule.

April: SAN-LGA via DFW (1 night stopover in DFW)
    July: JFK-ZRH

All under the same record locator. My preference when booking it was to take the flight out of DFW, but alas, BA fuel surcharge is crazy high (vs $15 flying out of JFK on AA).

If I skipped the segment from DFW to LGA which will happen in April, that would forfeit the rest of my itinerary or not?

I posted this under this section, not sure if taking advantage of AA rule is considered travel hacking or not. I thought it's pretty cool building the itinerary above for only 20K AAdvantage miles, at least for a newbie.

B1BomberVB likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you will forfeit the JFK-ZRH segment.

misterbwong and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If U lived in NYC, this would be an awesome deal. As is, perhaps U should surrender to the fuel surcharge & the change fee to change it to DFW--(London)--ZRH in July.

misterbwong likes this.
  4. r0m8470

r0m8470 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is still an awesome deal ..... My night in DFW is covered by Hyatt GP points, which I don't use much anyway. The flight from AUS-SAN is covered by SW RR points, and we would fly from ISP-AUS on SW RR points too - with companion ticket on each leg.

The $500 fuel surcharge per award tix is just too hard to swallow. I guess when you see it at 30K foot level - spending a Sunday in btw airports is not too bad .... :)