Not sure where this goes...my concerns...

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by squeakrad, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those of you who know me from FT know that I often speak my mind even if no one but me wants to hear it. To continue in that vein. let me share that I am really torn about attending meetings etc on Randy’s new venture. From what I can see so far, it seems like a great site with a lot of thought behind it and to that I salute Randy and all of you who are making it come to life.

However what I also see is that some members here want to use MP to rehash the indignities they suffered on FT and that concerns me. I would hope MP is to be more than just a site where FT members can complain about FT.

That said, I think it’s folly to paint FT as unfriendly and MP to be a bastion of goodwill. FT (And I believe as MP goes forward, MP as well) has always had a schizophrenic attitude towards disruptive members, partly because Randy himself is one of the friendliest people on the planet and sees good in everyone; but partly because “disruption” is in the eye of the beholder. I’m sure there are posters here who wish I hadn’t found the MP site, as I wish some posters here had not. What is going to happen when the first person makes a snarky remark about someone else? It’s going to happen/…

But the larger question for me is one of scale. As MP (hopefully) grows, size will become an issue in terms of keeping it a friendly welcoming place. One model I see (not entirely useful)) is that of the Fodors’ travel board where I am a frequent poster. It’s really friendly; members who consistently badger or insult others are banned; snarky comments are withdrawn by the (unseen) Fodors employee-mods, and THE INFO STAYS ON THE SAME NEWBIE LEVEL on every forum. I don’t personally think it’s possible to have an internet forum over a certain size that’s friendly and welcoming to everyone, without diluting helpful information OR having certain posters entrusted with “enforcing” friendliness. I see it on fodors, on craigslist forums and indeed on every forum I’ve ever been a part of.

So with all that, I see that some MP posters are not planning to welcome members who may be mods on FT and that concerns me. Maybe this will sound like heresy, but my loyalty to Randy has to do with him personally and what a stand up person I see him being. Given his benevolent nature, I can see why he’d found a site based on welcoming others. Does that mean MP will be a better site than FT? I don’t know and I kind of don’t care. Randy will ALWAYS hold a special place in my life regardless of what site he owns or runs and I don’t really know that MP will wind up much differently from pre-IB FT.

MikeMpls, Gaucho, sc801 and 4 others like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FAQ sticky at the top of various TOBB fora, such as the UA one,
    should satisfy the newbie info requirement; there shouldn't be such
    restrictions on threads, which to keep things interesting really ought
    to be as diverse as the membership (though focused on content!).
    And when a thread or post contains significant new info, that should
    be incorporated into the FAQ.

I think they're called "mods." Agree that they are necessary but that - unlike
    TOBB, they should be disinterested and fair. Perhaps by having All-Nippon people
    moderating the US Air board and US Air people moderate the All-Nippon one.

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that we will welcome FT moderators, just not in their position as moderators. When the time comes that mods are necessary, their powers should be severely limited.
    That is a very interesting thing worth considering once the time comes

cockpitvisit likes this.
  4. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't want to debate the role of ambassadors/mods etc here..I'm just reacting to what I see here as complaints ALREADY about mods when the issue of mods isn't even relevant here.And FWIW I would not expect to be a mod on this board - that's not the issue.
    I guess bottom line, I don't see that changing to a different BB will make those folks who were snarky on TOBB, all of a sudden be all friendly and welcoming here. Several folks here on MP have been incredibly insulting ot other posters including myself - how is a new BB going to change that?

Primula likes this.
  5. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok but as I have found on many BB, no one reads stickies if they have a burning question to ask.
    And there is no requirement on TOBB that mods participate actively on the forums they moderate. For some airline or hotel forums it may be helpful to have mods who know the system well.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not. But as I posted on another thread, if they don't like you, that
    shouldn't affect your participation on the board or in fact the way you
    look at yourself. The only way in which a new BBS is going to change
    things is by changing the tone of discourse. Starting fresh can be a
    good thing. Although the point is made that as this board grows,
    friction is inevitable, and it's the way that MiPo deals with the
    growth and its pains that will make or break it.
    Then people should be educated to look there first, perhaps by
    a more gentle method than the "do a dam search" that is
    common over there.
    My point is that mods shouldn't participate in what they moderate.
    Perfect impartiality, which I think is necessary for a mod, especially
    in an active forum, is rare - and so far as I have seen close to
    nonexistent among mods no matter where.
    If the role is to be purely that of facilitator, I might agree with you.
    But here the knowledgebase is sufficient that a designated resident
    expert probably isn't needed. Even in the product fora the company
    reps are probably not going to be the ones who know the most about
    the product! For a moderatorship role, it seems to me that an outsider
    would the most effective.

7. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah well as I see that I will never have enough points to be an actual original member I guess the vox populi has spoken.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree -- FAQs are fine as far as they go, but newbies & the perpetually timid need a place where they can interact. If you can't get your question out safely, how can you expect to get an answer?

9. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Original member" kicks in at around 30 points. You'll make it easily.

With regard to the FT mods, most do a good job and have been very restrained in exercising their powers. There are a small number for whom moderation unfortunately is an end in itself, and there are a very few who set out on their own agenda (the scuttled "zero tolerance" policy in the DL forum was a great example). Indications that I've seen are that Randy intends not to recreate that environment, so let's see what evolves. He's always been open to suggestions, and here there are no restrictions on subject matter.

I do not think that we need to recreate Fodors here -- they're a business, and their forums serve to supplement & support their business activity. In this case, the business is a discussion forum and deserves a more open approach.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Do you have a link to this discussion? I think it would be helpful if we could actually see where this is....

Gaucho likes this.
  11. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Same as above.... do you have some links or examples? I take your word for it but I haven't seen examples of it myself so I'm not aware of exactly what is going on.

12. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    the posters here I am speaking about are posters who have been rude on FT ...so I don;t feel it's appropriate to x post.

13. squeakrad
    Original Member

squeakrad Silver Member

Status Points:
  14. I've seen that question, and ones similar to others you've posed, being bantered around quite a bit via email, FB, Twitter, etc. I agree completely but figured I'd show up to see for myself.

15. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks! I had seen those questions... but since one person seems to be anonymous (i.e. I certainly don't know who they are or recognize the handle) and the other is commenting that she has realized this is a problem all over the internet, I don't know that it is an epidemic. But I'm glad all these questions are getting addressed upfront.