(Not So) Breaking News – BART is Gross

Discussion in 'California' started by NileGuide, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. You know there’s something wrong with your city’s public transit system when the New York Times features an article on how disgusting it is. I’m obviously not the first person to wonder why there are fabric seats and carpets. But hey, BART runs pretty reliably (I said pretty reliably) and I tend to think of it as cleaner than the MUNI bus, and less clean than the MUNI train. As a former frequent BART commuter, let me give you some tips on avoiding the nastiness that is Bay Area Rapid Transit.
    1. Get a job outside of San Francisco – I took BART daily for 5 years when I lived in San Francisco and worked in West Oakland, and I didn’t mind once. My commute time from Montgomery Station to West Oakland station was less than 10 minutes and what a breezy ride it was! Around 8:45 a.m., I would watch the downtown train platform swell with commuters pouring out of the East Bay train whilst I stepped into a completely empty train heading into the Transbay Tube. I always got my choice of the least stained seat in the car.
    2. Don’t sit – Those fabric seats on BART allegedly have fecal matter and antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Ew! So don’t sit down. And don’t worry, if you live anywhere closer than 7 stops before San Francisco, you will never get a seat anyway. So let all of those Pleasanton, Pittsburg, and Richmond commuters relish their soft seat, you don’t want it. No really, you don’t.
    3. Do the straddle – As a former ballerina, let me tell you that the straddle, as well as fourth position, really does keep the body balanced and strengthen the core. The straddle is self-explanatory. Fourth position involves keeping one foot in front of the other, both turned out away from the body. Do not lock the knees to have the most flexibility in case of a “fake stop” i.e. when BART stops, and everybody lets go, and then BART lurches forward while the train conductor snickers “ha HA!”
    4. The elbow wrap around – Those poles are foul, what with everyone coughing and grabbing on. But elbows are handy contraptions for securing yourself around a pole without using your hands.
    5. Own a pair of BART gloves – Gloves: only for BART rides. You can grab whatever you want, touch whatever you want, even sit with your hands under your bum. Just keep them away from your face and remove them as soon as you get off the train. This works for MUNI too.
    6. Hang onto strangers – When I commuted from Berkeley to San Francisco, the train was always ridiculously crowded. So I hung onto my then-boyfriend. His pocket worked well, as did the straps on his bag. Most strangers carrying a bag or a bike won’t notice your fingers tethered to their belongings for balance. It’s good conversation starter too.
    Stay safe and healthy out there, BART commuters.
    [​IMG]Photo courtesy of thebayareabrit
    Feature image courtesy of Monica’s Dad/Flickr

Continue reading...

2. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a semi-frequent leisure traveller to SF, this disturbs me. I use the BART to get from SFO to downtown and back everytime and find it super convenient. I'm not certain I find fecal bacteria on me super convenient though. :([​IMG]

Obviously, I take any study like this with a grain of salt but I know for at least my next trip I will sit on my carry-on...:D

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember when BART was new. These days, the seats look like they're from a 1970's movie. [​IMG]

SC Flier and kwai like this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:

Great post by someone with a bare-feet avatar :D

illico likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but they are OUR cooties, and OUR 1970s movie.

6. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    Touché! :)

7. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    They really are awful. Some seats have outlines from dried liquid.... I don't wanna think about this further.
    IMG_6774sm.jpg

8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cooties are everywhere. Bad '70's movies aren't necessarily a good thing. That said from an ex-SF resident.