Not just guitars: United breaks monks

Discussion in 'Newsstand' started by iolaire, Jan 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Short story, Brother John Baptist flew to visit family in Malawi at the cost of $2,489.02, his mother is sick so Brother Noah calls the airline to extend the return and finds out that the fraud department canceled the ticket without telling anyone, even though the outbound was flown. With a lot of patience and a lot of time Abbot Philip tries to fix it, is told its fixed and never gets the confirmation, is told the fix was never promised, etc... Abbot Philip appeals for help on mailing list and problem is resolved.

via http://boingboing.net/2015/01/03/not-just-guitars-united-break.html, text quoted verbatime without image:
    After four hours of dealing with United customer service, Brother Noah got so fed up trying to figure out why the airline had stranded Brother John Baptist in Malawi that he "manifested anger."

It was only Abbot Philip's open letter that got the airline to fix things.
    (second link is NYT)

background from the NYT article:
    So what really went awry?

A rep in corporate customer care told Brother Noah that United had recently hired a third-party fraud-detection company.

“They got a bit overzealous,” this rep told Brother Noah, according to his notes. “I can’t even say what I want to say about it. It has gone up the chain. One of our senior V.P.s was involved and knew about it. I don’t think they’ll be making this mistake again.”

To the Haggler, United was a bit more vague. “We incorrectly marked the charge for the ticket as fraudulent,” wrote a spokeswoman, Jennifer Dohm, “which is what prevented the customer from making a change and ultimately prevented the reservations agents he spoke to from resolving the issue.”

uggboy likes this.