Not going to get to keep my Ambassador

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Nov 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    So with the time off from an injury I'm sitting at 85 nights this year. I might have a few more but am unlikely to cross 90.

Last year I earned an ambassador and have enjoyed the service and seen a higher level or recognition, as well as being able to hand off certain booking needs or research requests and having them done.

I'm sad, but not sad enough to mattress run 15 nights, even at cash and points rates. We're I to suddenly get 15 nights of travel I'd commit it to Starwood, but that's not going to happen.

P75 it is.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    can you do 125 next year? maybe call them and ask them to extend you the courtesy, under the assumption that you'll make it up next year? :)

not sure if they would, but the worse they can do is say no

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. I'd actually like to end up closer to 100 than 125 next year.

Don't get me wrong - I really appreciate the service and they're friendly, but as an advanced traveler I can get almost the same service myself for little more effort than not. The real difference will be in recognition, and while it's nice it's not a deal-killer.

viguera likes this.
  4. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the requirements for the various platinum levels are set. I don't think they would make an exception, and I personally do not think they should.

viguera likes this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    To each their own... the way I see it, you have a loyal member that's obviously able to meet the threshold, and the only reason he's short is because of extenuating circumstances. Should Starwood extend him the courtesy he would get the Ambassador next year (and most likely next) and SPG gets the repeat business. It's a win-win for everyone.

6. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Then where does Starwood/SPG stop?
    2. How do you know for sure the person would the minimum next year? Anything could happen.

If you're going to make "exceptions" then the program is devalued for those who actually qualified for that platinum level. In this particular situation, I'm for Starwood/SPG sticking to the hard published rules.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see both sides (of course, I'm the OP). The real value to SPG for my ambassador has been in booking meetings at SPG properties. Being able to hand that to my ambassador has resulted in incremental revenue that went to places like Regus before. I actually had four that got canceled with my travel and was on track for 13 next year. Sure, there are other spg programs for organizers, but this fit my needs well.

That said, I haven't asked for and don't expect an exception. I didn't meet the requirements... regardless of the reason.

I'm working with my ambassador now to help finalize some multi-room C&P bookings for next summer (vs me having to call in and do it) and wrapping things up for the year.

Finally - I'm not the perfect target for an exception. As a more advanced traveler who can do more themselves, I probably use my ambassador less and differently than others and they'd be better off putting those resources to use where they'll get more bookings by handholding someone. I don't know.

It's a good program with good staff. It'll be interesting to see how it grows with SPG.

8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I switched ambassadors recently because of complications with my initial one. I'm now starting to get more of the service I was hoping for but likely won't hit 100 nights. And, for those that don't think SPG should make exceptions, I disagree. I'm not saying they should make one for me. But, certainly a customer who spends 50 nights at SPG properties @$1,000 a night brings in more revenue than one who spends 100 nights at $150 a night. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with SPG offering ambassador service to folks who are high revenue customers.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pegged me. I'd be surprised if I averaged $150/night. :)

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    :)

I think it's also important to remember that the Ambassador program existed before there was a 75 night or 100 night level. Back then it was invite only. Just because SPG now gives us a concrete path to earning it doesn't mean I think they stopped inviting customers to the Ambassador program. Now, if Mike isn't averaging a very high rate, I doubt he'd be invited to stay as an exception. But I really wouldn't have a problem if they were inviting customers they thought could send them more business in the future.