Not getting miles with magazines.com and several other vendors

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by na123, Mar 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    I joined AAdvantage and got the Citibank aadvantage credit card a few months back and I have had the worst experience with my online shopping through the AA website. Here are a few examples:

I purchased flowers from 1-800Flowers for valentine's day and used a code in order to get a very decent amount of miles. They only awarded me with half of the miles due. I had to call and email aadvantage and eventually ended up contacting 1-800Flowers which then they proceeded to contact cartera and finally the correct amount of miles were awarded. It took several weeks for this to be processed. I am aware of the 45 day period but the fact that only half the miles were posted made me believe that I had to contact them earlier since there was clearly an error.

Then I made 2 purchases from magazines.com (one large one small)(these were several magazines subscriptions) about 2 months ago (well over 45 days ago). I patiently waited those 45 days. Then I was asked to wait another 8 weeks. 2 weeks after I got an e-mail from cartera saying that these miles would not be awarded since miles can't be given on automatically renewed magazine subscriptions even though these were not automatically renewed. These were original purchases. I gave up. I called Magazines.com and told them I wanted to cancel my subscriptions. When they asked why I wanted to cancel I told them the truth. They asked me to please let them contact cartera and that they would try to take care of this situation. I received an email from Cartera saying that only the small purchase would be awarded and not the large one. That they were investigating further and I should have an answer in 8 weeks. (ANOTHER 8 WEEKS?) even though magazines.com clearly contacted them and told them to please award me these miles since I deserved them.

Then I made two purchases on anntaylor.com on the same day. Only one of these purchases was awarded almost immediately after they were made. Still waiting on the second purchase to come up. I still have 17 days to wait for cartera to contact ann taylor in order for them to tell me to wait yet another 8 weeks to see what happens.

I also made two purchases from beachbody.com on the same day as well. Same thing happened as with ann taylor.

These situations have been incredibly frustrating especially because of the waiting periods. I noticed that when I cancel or return an order my miles are deducted literally 24 hours later but when I need to be awarded miles it can take up to 45 days + 8 weeks.

Why is it that it takes Cartera this long in order to award miles if at all? My husband never had issues with his chase miles card so I'm considering switching over. There have been too many mistakes and it is getting very old.

2. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many individuals have experienced issues with getting miles credited from Cartera, you are not alone. I understand your frustration.

Regarding the 1800Flowers.com issue, if you do order flowers from them again, I'd consider dealing directly with 1800Flowers.com via their direct link on AA.com, as if you look directly on the 1800Flowers.com link on AA.com, they will always offer more miles than using the link to 1800flowers.com via the Cartera/AAdvantage Eshopping portal. This link is separate from the Cartera/AAdvantage eShopping site, and avoids any possible headaches of dealing with a third party like Cartera, since you're dealing directly with 1800Flowers.com

Being a frequent and large customer of 1800Flowers.com, I can speak from experience that if you had some sort of discount code [i.e. Free Shipping, Free Vase, Percentage/Dollar off code] that this is the reason why you received only half the miles. In fact, I'm quite amazed they gave you any miles in addition to the promo code you used, as the mileage bonus that 1800Flowers.com offers is not combinable with any discount/promo code--- hence the reason why on the checkout page says limit one promo code. In fact the one time I used a discount code on 1800Flowers.com and went via the Cartera/AAdvantage Eshopping site, the miles were given by Cartera and later taken away by Cartera because of the promo code rule.

So in your case of 1800Flowers.com, the fact that they were willing to contact Cartera on your behalf shows their good customer service. I've dealt with other online merchants/store that have a deaf ear when it comes going to bat for their customers when it comes to fulfilling a portal's points/miles/cashback.

As for the rest of your purchases using Cartera, be polite as possible and persistent.

Welcome to MilePoint. :)

3. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response. I didn't use any promo codes with 1800-flowers. And you're right, now that I remember it wasn't through Cartera. It was through the aadvantage website. I used a code that AA provided so that I could get my miles then had to enter my aadvantage number. That's probably why they were more responsive. I didn't use any discount codes or fee shipping. It was pretty much an error.

So far I've been lucky with stores helping me fight for points. (especially when you call to cancel subscription such as magazines.com) In those circumstances I can see Cartera not only hurting the customer but the merchant too which is kind of messed up. I have yet to contact Ann Taylor but the rest have been responsive which made me very happy. It's such a shame about Cartera because all the shopping I do is online to begin with and it seems like these situations happen very often.

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha.

Yeah, usually 1800Flowers.com is pretty decent about crediting when they make an error. Sorry to hear that you had issues despite not using a promo code.

As for your other experiences with Cartera, it can sometimes really be a drawn out process. I had a case where it took over 18 months, then to be only told my purchase was ineligible. Other times it was months, some miles were awarded for some merchants, others were not. Recently however, mileage crediting hasn't been an issue for me with Cartera.

Best of luck with your other AAdvantage Eshopping issues. :)

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think most of that use the partners or portals run into this. I recently had a terrible time with BA on a Nordstom purchase. It got so bad a guy with the last name of Nordstrom had to get involved to get the miles awarded from BA. I also don't know why it takes so long to get the miles, I've had great luck with drugstore dot com, Walmart and others though.

6. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    It is so sad and crazy that you had to wait over one year and a half to be told that your purchase was ineligible. There is absolutely no good excuse for that. What did you do in order for things to get better with mileage crediting lately? Have you stopped shopping with certain merchants? Or is it just luck? Thanks.

7. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    It is a super frustrating process. I'm sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid but shouldn't miles be awarded automatically? or is it actual people entering miles into people's accounts?

daninstl likes this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true it is suppose to be automatic but it seems like that varies by vendor and then you add in the draconian BA oversight (they are worried about returns so they tend to hold avois 90+ days) and it can be painful and that is if everything goes right. Surely there is a better way. If I was in the UK I would buy through topcashback UK and redeem for Tesco club card points and convert over to Avios at a much better rate and I bet I wouldn't have to fight for most of those.

9. jcook814

jcook814 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Miles Member,
    I represent Magazines.com and manage the Cartera program. First off, I want to say thank you for choosing Magazines.com. Secondly and most importantly I hate you had a bad shopping experience with Cartera, AAdantage specifically. This feedback is very important to us since we are always striving to improve.
    Would you mind sending a direct email to jmorgan at magazines.com with your order number? I would like to find out why your order was not credited correctly. I want to understand what happened and fix the issue so Magazines.com is your #1 choice for magazine subscriptions in the future.
    Thank you,
    Jesse
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    Magazines.com

------------------------------------------

10. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello Jesse,

Magazines.com has been pretty awesome in helping me out with my miles already. I still haven't been given miles for the large purchase but American Airlines is still in the process of it. I am not surprised at all by your response since I noticed that magazines.com has excellent customer service. Thanks a lot!

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's Cartera. Is there such thing as a good experience? In my experience, they're among the worst on the internet in terms of competently running an e-commerce platform.

12. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    It's such a shame! I'm thinking about doing a switch as soon as I redeem my miles. Any recommendations?

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Switch to who? Cartera, unfortunately, runs AA's e-Commerce platform. You can't change that. I simply opt to ignore anything that offers me miles from that platform, as it's often a hassle to get what you've earned - more than the miles are worth.

AAdvantage Dining, on the other hand, works seamlessly.

14. na123

na123 Active Member

Status Points:
    Dining has been perfect, I agree but Cartera is what could make me most of my miles. I am talking about a switch to a whole different airline. I currently have the CitiAAdvantage card so I'm thinking about opening a whole new credit card with a different airline. Would you have any recommendations?

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too broad a question and not the right thread. For THIS thread, don't count on Cartera miles posting or being correct if they do without lots of follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My most recent negative was with a purchase from Brookstone. I bought a Tempur-Pedic seat cushion for those flights where I'm not upgraded or on a regional. The miles were credited, then reversed. It turns out that somewhere in the fine print, Brookstone excludes Tempur-Pedic products from earning miles. I'm sure it's there, but it was not at all obvious.

As luck (or my bad memory) would have it, I left the cushion on a UAX plane, and it was never recovered. When I bought the replacement, I got it from Bed Bath and Beyond. It was $10 cheaper and I got the miles.

Although I am a UA 1K, I still us AAdvantage Shopping for earning miles on purchases. The same purchases offer more miles in most cases than does the shopping portal of UA. I earn plenty of UA miles in other ways, and I can keep my AAdvantage account miles active with these purchases and use them for flying friends and family in need.

One other lesson I have learned is to never opt for in-store pickup. For some reason, those purchases never credit. I don't have the time and/or energy to fight to get them posted, so I'm just no longer buying anything that isn't going to be shipped.