Not Even The Swankiest Suites are Free From Disgusting Carpet Stains

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not Even The Swankiest Suites are Free From Disgusting Carpet Stains:eek:

[​IMG]
    As we all kind of expected the Manhattan DA's office is asking the judge to dismiss the rape charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn claiming that the witness, a housekeeper at The Sofitel New York was an unreliable witness for several reasons. (Of course, that still that doesn't change the fact that DSK, a married man, admitted the sex was consensual.)
    Nevertheless what really, um, stood out for us was this bit in the prosecution's filing and highlighted by The Smoking Gun.

In a motion to dismiss rape charges against Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Manhattan prosecutors today reported that an analysis of carpet stains in the Frenchman’s $3000-per-night Sofitel hotel room “contained the semen and DNA” of three unknown men, while a stain on the room’s wallpaper contained the semen and DNA of a fourth unknown man.

Four men. Four semen stains. On the rug and on the wallpaper. The wallpaper! This we expect from a Holiday Inn or Motel 6, or even a Sheraton or Hilton in a Spring Break destination but never from a swanky suite in Manhattan. Ugh. We may never sleep comfortably in a hotel room ever again. (Unless we have proof that the rugs were just cleaned.)

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...Suites_are_Free_From_Disgusting_Carpet_Stains

Kalboz likes this.
  2. mlarso85
    Original Member

mlarso85 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :eek: - That emoticon does not give justice to what I am feeling right now! LOL

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was actually surprised to read about this in such a classy hotel in NYC! Nevertheless, a 3000 US$ suite! How I feel, you said it all!:eek:

Kalboz likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who said the Sofitel is a swanky hotel in NYC? I would peg it at about mid-level, maybe even four-star, but certainly nowhere near being a top hotel.It's above a Motel 6 but not that much above Hilton or similar brands despite being a French chain.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been tempted to bring a UV lamp with me when I travel to see what 'spots' come up, but I realize this would significantly impact my desire to stay in hotels!!! :eek:

6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, a UV lamp maybe practical, but it does nothing for our passion or wants to stay in hotels!:confused:

Kalboz and canucklehead like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised to hear that a Sofitel could be seen or classified just above Motel 6 or as a 4 star property!:confused:

Kalboz likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't say "just above" Motel 6 but I would guess that most Sofitels in the USA would be considered four-diamond properties by AAA, not five-diamond. It's not in the same category as, for example, the Pierre, the Waldorf Towers, the Palace Hotel, the Plaza, the Peninsula, etc.

9. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed in a (smallish) suite at this hotel and it's definitely not a luxury hotel. I'd rate it as "upscale," the level just below luxury. Definitely better than the Hiltons in NYC but below the Palace or (believe it or not) the Trump.

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification! Interesting insights!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your experiences in this Sofitel! Interesting to know, highly appreciated!:)

Kalboz likes this.
  12. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling that in many hotels, regardless of how many stars, that the average semen stain count is about the same. It might even be higher in the "classier" hotels. What do you think honeymooners are doing in those resorts in Hawaii that MPers save up points for? ;)

uggboy likes this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's worth thinking about indeed!:D

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uhhh, you mean, the room I am in right now?? Anyone know where I can buy a UV light on Kauai?

uggboy likes this.
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy your room!:D