Not Enjoying Your Flight? Hey, At Least It Isn't on Air Koryo.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/2...r+Flight?+Hey,+At+Least+It+Isn't+on+Air+Koryo.

[​IMG]

You don’t have to be a fancy pants diplomat or a foreign affairs expert to know that North Korea isn’t exactly that happiest place on earth. Understandably they also aren’t on the cutting edge of air travel technology or in-flight amenities, so trip reports or other tidbits from their airline are few and far between.

However, the folks over at RocketNews24 were lucky enough—if you can call it that—to be in North Korea on a flight aboard Air Koryo. The state-run carrier does have one good thing going for it, as the flight attendants still pass out quick meals even in economy class.

Unfortunately, the in-flight meal consisted of a cold hamburger and a glass of juice—that’s it—and it sounds like the in-flight delicacy was less than enjoyable. The full details are right here, where you can learn that the cold burger was dressed up with a little mayo and two thin slices of onion.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/2...r+Flight?+Hey,+At+Least+It+Isn't+on+Air+Koryo.

2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given how little protein North Koreans are able to get in their daily diet, I'm surprised it's even a hamburger and not just a cup of rice or a small roll. But I guess anybody who's flying must be either highly connected or a foreigner, and those people clearly get more than the average North Korean.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same supplier as CO's famous inflight burger? (I have never seen either).

sobore, violist and autolycus like this.
  4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with autolycus. That does look like a quite substantial lunch,
    given the setting.

sobore, LETTERBOY and autolycus like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we flew Air Koryo in September 2007, this was the meal we were served from Beijing to Pyongyang.

[​IMG]

I don't know. Maybe they've had cutbacks due to fuel prices and the economic turn down just like every other carrier since then?

The customs declaration form asked you if you were carrying any "weapons, explosives, or killing devices" (I of course marked "No" emphatically) or if you had any "narcotics, poison, or exciters". You also had to declare all of the published material you were bringing into the country.

Additionally, you were required to fill out a health form indicating whether you were suffering from diarrhea, vomiting, or breathing difficulties. If I were, I sure as hell wouldn't be on a flight to the DPRK!

MiamiTed, sobore, desamo and 3 others like this.
  6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL... yeah, they're hardly known for their best-in-the-world medical care. In re decline since 2007, I think the country in general is even worse off than it was then, which is saying a lot.

TheBeerHunter and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Active Member

Status Points:
    "Maybe they've had cutbacks" Love it. The 2nd photo certainly looks more appetizing.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or maybe the flights out of North Korea (Hamburger) get "local" food (whatever is available) while flights from Bejing to North Korea get Chinese catering?

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If westerners are involved, anything is available. They have a lot of decent food (and actually pretty good beer!) in the DPRK -- if you've got dollars to spend, of course. Or you are a government official.

LETTERBOY, autolycus and sobore like this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who else but TheBeerHunter would know that NK has decent beer.[​IMG]

11. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like Kim Jong-Il's pizza parlor that was opened after the chefs and other staff spent years studying under the best Italian and American pizza chefs. Available to Il, his close circle and foreigners, but to effectively nobody else.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took a visit with Koryo Tours in March 2010 (please see my blog http://buildingmybento.wordpress.com/tag/north-korea/ if you are interested in a bit of background), and would rather have Pyongyang catering my airline food than the average Chinese airport...actually, to tell a family secret, whenever a meal is included on a flight, I try to request a Hindu one.
    Also, about the beer comment. A few of the restaurants the tour group was taken to either had beer or soda...