Not able to upgrade a BA leg because of an AA leg on the booking

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by mrsmortis, Sep 9, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping that someone here can confirm this is stupid and that I'm being fobbed off by the BA call centre. But I'm not holding out too much hope. It sounds like just the sort of stupid thing that they would do.

I have a LHR-ATL-ORD-LHR round trip booked with BA. The ATL-ORD leg is with AA the other 2 legs are BA. The trip was booked through my work travel agent not with the airline directly.

I am trying to upgrade the LHR-ATL leg with Avios but the call centre are telling me that I can't because of the existence of the AA leg on the booking. The website says that there is availability on the flight so it isn't that.

Is that really true? Has anyone else experienced this? Did you manage to get around it?

2. Fun4Tracy

Fun4Tracy New Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry to say this is correct. BA isn't a very "forgiving" airline and they live to tell their travelers no. I'm sorry and hope you can find some way around this. You may have to wait until the day of departure. Of course by that time, the upgraded seats will probably be gone.

3. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might try posting in the BA forum where there are probably more BA-savvy people. I get why you posted in the Oneworld forum, but this seems to be a strictly BA issue.

Good luck!

4. acvitale

acvitale Active Member

Status Points:
    The issue is not likely the AA leg but rather the booking via the travel agent. I have booked BA with an AA leg and you can upgrade. However, BA is absolutely unforgiving on any travel agency booking. Sorry you are out of luck.

5. UncleDude

UncleDude Active Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked at making it 2 One Way bookings? Of course this will only work if ATL is your stopover.