Norwegian (DY) | Norwegian Reward

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by NorFlyer, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    About Norwegian:
    Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, commercially branded “Norwegian,” is a public low-cost airline. The company is the second largest airline in Scandinavia, and has a route portfolio that stretches across Europe into North Africa and the Middle East.

Facts (jan 2011):
    • Founded in 1993 - F50-operations
    • Started 737-operations in 2002.
    • More than 13 million passengers in 2010.
    • Third largest low-cost airline in Europe.
    • Norwegian operates 238 routes to 95 destinations
    • approximately 2,500 employees.
    • Operates more than 50 Boeing 737-300/-800
    • Hubs: Oslo Airport Gardermoen, Bergen, Trondheim, Stavanger, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Warsaw
    (Source: http://www.norwegian.com/about-norwegian/our-company/ )

About Norwegian Reward:
    You earn Cash Points based on the fare. 2% on discounted tickets and 10% on full flex tickets (domestic tickets in Norway excluded due to legislation). You can use the cash-points to pay for (parts) of a new flight, check-in luggage, seat reservations or ticket changes.
    (Source: http://www.norwegian.com/en/customer-services/norwegian-reward/ )

G_G likes this.
  2. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without online check-in they are really a no-go for me. Yesterday I flew them yesterday anyway though as their schedule (for once) was better than the competition. Didn't help much when the flights were 1h / 0,5h delayed respectively. The first delay wasn't so much their fault as there was a snowstorm in HEL from where I was departing. But on the return the delay was due to an aircraft and gate change and that was handled poorly. The gate signage just went blank, no staff or nothing so everyone had to walk to the common screens to find if the flight had been cancellend or what.

3. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel the same way about the lack of OLCI, and, in my experience, constant delays, and they lose my bags more then anyone I've ever flown with - twice I've even had to pay for the transport of the bags myself after they've recovered them. They also forced me to sign the bagtags when I checked my snowboard in on the last occasion I flew with them, agreeing to relieve them of all responsibility should something happen with my board on the flight, and that kind of pissed me off.

Also, if something happens, it's like you describe, you feel like there's no-one to turn to. There's was alot of delays when I was flying them at christmas, and we came to the point that we wouldn't make our next flight unless it was delayed as well, and the next available connection wasn't until several days later. So I asked them (DY employee on-site) if they could check if our connecting flight was delayed, and he assured me (after some puter-typing) that it was boarding and ready to leave in 15 minutes, and that there was no way we could make it and nothing they could do.
    At the same time I had been on hold with their phone-service for half an hour, and by sheer luck came through shortly after this, asked their customer-service the same question, and they told me our connecting flight was in fact delayed more than an hour, and the we did have a 10 minute window to make it. So I ran after the other strangers who was already leaving the airport, and convinced them to forget what the other guy said and give it a try. We just made our connection, not thanks to DY-support.

I guess you are supposed to let some things slide and think of them as a LCC, but their prices doesn't really justify that either.. I now fly them only when it's the only option.

Didn't really mean to make an angry-post, but when I started thinking about it after reading gnopps' post I just felt the need to vent a little. Sorry ;)

cockpitvisit and SirRagnar like this.
  4. AHN
    Original Member

AHN Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, they used to be cheap and good. Now they are certainly not cheap anymore, and when I stopped flying them in 2008 their quality had slipped even faster than they had expanded. That's when they had the so-called "passenger revolts" with pax refusing to board the aircraft when they saw the condition they were in. I suppose they have improved again since then, but I really don't feel like trying them again. Too many bad experiences.

5. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it all depends on when and where. My experiene is that you sometimes can get a ticket 20-60% less than SAS is quoting doemstic Norway and intra-Nordic flights during "business-hours".

Remember some incidences some years ago when they wet-leased aircrafts from various small companies. Now 50% of their fleet is rather new 737-800s, and more are being phased in.

G_G likes this.
  6. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    If Norwegian is REALLY cheap I will pick them over KLM or SAS, as when I lived in Liverpool and commuted to Bergen every week. The first half year I used SAS and it took me usually around 9-10 hours from leaving my home in Bergen to being in my home in Liverpool. When Norwegian opened Bergen-Manchester they sold it for 199,- Nkr and it would have been silly not to use Norwegian, also because it saved me a lot of time as it was a direct route.

These days I will avoid using Norwegian for the routes they only have 2 flights a week. I hate to think about being stranded because there are no more flights within 2-3 days...

Xxx.

7. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown that many times with them since they started to fly 737s (16 times according to my logbook) and I haven't experienced that many delayed flights - two flights to be exact (with more than 15 minutes):
    1. 21 minutes delayed push on a flight back from STN to OSL in February 2006
    2. 45 minutes delayed departure from HAU to OSL on 4 January 2010 due to severe snow conditions and the airport authorities needed that time to clear the runway
    In other words, only one of these two delays were caused by Norwegian and their ground handlers.

And tobster, since you seems to have the gold card to the competitor, I have experienced more delays with SAS than Norwegian. My latest was on 23 January 2011 from OSL to LHR on SK809. The result was 1:50 delayed departure after first having tried out LN-RCX (150 seat 738) before changing to LN-RRZ (120 seat 736). Reason for the change of aircraft - both radios in LN-RCX failed during taxiing for the first attempt and couldn't be repaired on the spot. Deboarding at gate 51, reboarding LN-RRZ at gate 48 - complete anarchy as the seat numbering was different. I had reserved an emergency exit/window seat in the 738 and I could kiss goodbye to that seat on the 736. To compensate for the delay we were served free coffee/tea on that flight :confused:. The compensation at LHR was better then - AVIS upgraded me and I ended up driving round in Hampshire/Wiltshire with a Mercedes C-class the next six days :).

The reason for choosing Norwegian for me isn't the price, but their flight times and destinations. All but two of my Norwegian flights have been spare time flights. Some of you chase milepoints, I chase airports in the UK as a spare time projects. I'm now at 33 UK airports, and the Norwegian direct flight from OSL to EDI is a perfect fit for the chase. In case you wonder, the flight to number 34 is already ordered for the last day of March and no, it's neither Norwegian nor SAS that fly me to that airport.

I can't understand why an online check in should be necessary. At Norwegian you can order the seat you want together with the ticket - no need to check in 22 hours before the flight departure as at SAS. You have to pay extra for the seat reservation, but then it's no problem to get the best seat "in the house". If you fly only with hand luggage you need only to meet up at the gate with you barcode printout, and if you have check in baggage you need to get baggage tag(s) both at Norwegian and SAS either at the kiosk or at the check in counter.