North Shore Oahu - Sunset Beach - Family Vacation

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by garyst16, Apr 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our family will be renting a house on Sunset Beach for a week in June and are interested in information on what there is to do for older teens. Any comments will be appreciated!

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haleiwa is usually where all the Tourists go so there's quite a bit there to do like Matsumo's Shaved Ice and the Mackie Shrimp Truck other than Surfing or going to the Beaches =).

desamo likes this.
  3. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Waimea Valley is minutes away. They have guided hikes up into the mountains, a waterfall at the end of the valley, hula lessons and an occasional concert. It's real Hawaii.

There are a number of sport fishing boats out of Haliewa Harbor.

You can hike out to Ka'ena Point, one of the last wild places on Oahu. You'll see a lot of birds and sometimes even a monk seal out there, plus the views of the ocean are great. (Hint: Leave early and don't keep valuables in your parked car...this is a deserted area.)

You can rent kayaks and standup paddle boards at several places along the north shore. Haliewa Harbor is a relatively safe and protected area to learn the sport. They also offer lessons there.

You can take a glider flight at Dillingham airfield to get a spectacular view of the North Shore and the Waianae Coast range.

Have a nice time on the North Shore!

alohastephen and garyst16 like this.
  4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    WOW! Thanks for all of the great info, Hislands! Sincerely appreciate it!

alohastephen likes this.
  5. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) If you are there during the 1st Saturday in June, you could have them take a flying lesson with the Aviation Explorers out of Dillingham Airfield. The cost is only $40 to cover gas. They usually have sign ups from 8:30am-2pm or so.

2) Waimea Bay (which has huge waves during the winter) is calm and flat during the summer. A great place to snorkel, swim, and jump into the water from the huge rock on the left side of the bay.

3) There is always the circle island bus that will allow them to explore the island on their own.

6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We will be there the last week of June...what is the significance of the first week for flying lessons? Is it only held the first week of the month or are they running a special?

I've seen videos of people jumping from the rock at WB...can't wait to try it out!

The circle bus sounds like a great idea! May give the wife and I some time alone!!!

alohastephen likes this.
  7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're close to Dillingham Airfield, where you can skydive with Skydive Hawaii! http://www.skydivehawaii.com/

I went with them in January - it was totally awesome!

Also, don't forget to get chocolate haupia pie from Ted's Bakery. Yummm.

alohastephen and garyst16 like this.
  8. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Aviation Explorers fly the 1st Saturday of every month out of Dillingham air field. If you go on one of those Saturdays, you could join them for the day and enjoy the special $40 flying lesson for kids 8 and up.

I do believe that you could do lessons on just about any other day, but it will be at their normal public rate which is probably substantially higher.

garyst16 likes this.
  9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go snorkeling at Sharks Cove. It's one of the best places on the island. I agree with NYB about Haleiwa. My family rented a home not far from the beach in nearby Waialua. You can also go kayaking, I think, near Puaena Point, out to some small islands not far from shore, but they're bird sanctuaries so you're not supposed to go on them.

garyst16 and alohastephen like this.
  10. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also known as Pupukea. In case you need to ask a local for directions.
    Be sure to wear reef walkers. Sharp rocks and sea urchins.