North Korea's 'Hotel of Doom' to open 24 years after construction

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    North Korea's 'Hotel of Doom' to open 24 years after construction:cool:

[​IMG]

Now, 24 years after it was first started, the hotel which once aimed to be the world's tallest tower will finally open its doors in the North Korean capital.

Ryugyong Hotel, a glass tower spanning 105 storeys and rising 1,080ft high, will partially open in April next year following decades of delays, according to reports.

The long-delayed opening will coincide with the 100th anniversary of the birth of the nation's founder Kim Il-sung, with celebrations peaking on 15 April.

It was in 1987 that the hotel – whose name means Capital of Willows – was first launched with the grandiose ambitions of creating the world's tallest tower.

MORE!>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...Doom-to-open-24-years-after-construction.html

2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would never stay here unless they promise not to do anything to me while paying me big bucks to stay there instead of me paying. I can't even imagine the food they will serve with this shortage :confused: Probably will be full of high-ranking NK officials and their families along with any high-ranking Chinese officials that visit crazy Kim Jung.

uggboy likes this.
  3. ryandc99
    Original Member

ryandc99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what kind of loyalty program this hotel will have? :rolleyes: In all seriousness this is really sad. NK is spending funds on this while the citizens of NK starve :(

uggboy likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And you'd put any faith in their promise? Such as, uh, the promise to not build nukes in exchange for oil?

Probably won't be that bad. I am sure Kim Jung Ill isn't suffering... and they probably do a lot to show western tourists how, uh, nice their country is...

Well, I can't quite imagine that they can actually FILL that building with guests. Well, the hotel "only" occupies floors 20 through 30th, but still....

Frankly, I'd be concerned the darn thing would collapse while I am in it.

Gaucho, NYBanker and uggboy like this.
  5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool name.....

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forget about anything else, this is the biggest issue.

MSPeconomist, Jslo and uggboy like this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen to that..... who cares about food, service or even hotel points. South Korean Engineering I trust... but North Korean, I dont even trust the Kimchi there.....

8. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a very interesting/mind bending country. The people themselves are very nice, the sad part is the general state of affairs for the majority of the citizens. A few pics from a recent trip....you can see how big the hotel is. Also the kimchi was really good! But it does mess with your mind a bit while you are there, the whole control thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

travelinmike33 likes this.