North Dakota's Badlands balance beauty, oil boom

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by rwoman, Sep 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

USA Today: North Dakota's Badlands balance beauty, oil boom

I have yet to visit the upper Midwest, other than flying through MSP various times.

I'd certainly like to visit at some point!

2. wcblack34

wcblack34 Silver Member

I actually live in the midst of all the activity out here. The Badlands are absolutely beautiful, and I think the State has done a good job of protecting Teddy Roosevelt National Park. There are also very vocal and active people who are concerned about preserving the natural beauty of the area and beat back an attempt by a very large oil company to drill near Elkhorn Ranch. We don't have much in the way of National Treasures here, so I think that the State and its people will do all we can to ensure that the Park is preserved. There are plenty of other places to drill, and with the technology they have now, they can drill for oil several miles away from where the actual well is if need be.
  3. In a similar vein Canada's oil rich provinces are experiencing some of the same pressures. Alberta has been very strict about not leasing land in sensitive heritage areas or national parks. Horizontal drilling takes some of the pressure off but not all and mining Companies have been trying to explore and build on those preserved lands.
    wcblack34 likes this.