Normandy, France - advice needed for Mont St. Michel and the Cider/Cheese routes

Discussion in 'Europe' started by SpecialK, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hello all - we're heading to Normandy next month, thanks to United's P fare sale. I've pretty much planned the first portion of the trip and am now trying to finish it up - what to do Sunday morning through Tuesday evening.

We would leave from Bayeaux early Sunday morning and here are the options:

a. Drive to Honfleur (or somewhere close by). Spend Sunday doing some exploring Pays d'Auge and driving the Cheese route. Monday we would continue on with the Cider route and then perhaps head to Paris in the evening (yep- one of us doesn't drink - sucks to be them. :D ) . Tuesday would be spent at Versailles and a bit of walking around Paris (we've been to Paris before).

or

b. Drive down to Mont St. Michel (early, early, early) and spend half a day there. Afterwards drive back up to the Pays d'Auge area and chill. Monday would be either cheese or cider route and then either drive back to Paris in the evening, or very early Tuesday morning.

My dilemma is this - I really want to see Mont St. Michel, but I've heard it gets seriously crowded - and we will be there in high season. Yes, we'd get there early, but this would also mean we would have a long drive afterwards to get back to the northern area. Part of me just wants to take things easy, and I really, really, really want to do Pays d'Auge. So I might be ok missing the castle. Would that be a mistake?

So - WWMPD? I'm open to other suggestions as well.

eta - any hints for the cider/cheese routes would be appreciated too.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    MX likes this.
  2. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone? Bueller??... Anyone?? I have to believe at least one of you nice folks have been to that part of the world. :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suggest you go to the castle, is always crowded , but it is very very nice. Stay there one night, hotels are not very expensive and early in the morning there are less people :)

SpecialK likes this.