Nordstroms/BA Avios 36x wrong item sent scenario

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by ilovskins12, Feb 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ilovskins12

ilovskins12 Active Member

Status Points:
    All, I have an interesting situation that just occurred. I bought a few items, 2 of which were Burberry purses on sale. They sent me both of them but one was a little different than the other (when they were suppose to be the same). They both have the same MSRP but one was more on sale than the other. In order for me to get the credit back for the items (even if I were to keep the one they sent me) they would have to credit back the original and then charge the second. I talked to BA and they said I would loose the points. I told Nordstroms this but they said for there tracking purposes, they have to first credit the original item back (even if I decide to keep what they sent) in order for me to get the difference in price. I suggested they just give me a gift card for the difference and I would keep the bag they sent, which they said they couldn't do. Does anyone have anything I can suggest to Nordstroms as a way to compensate me for the price difference without loosing the points? After all it was not my fault that Nordstroms accidentally send the wrong bag. They said they were unable to just credit the difference to my CC. I was also using my Chase Saffire for this to hit the minimum spend and although I still have time to complete that, this would have been a big help and I can't afford to loose it.

2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it something you could sell yourself on eBay?

3. ilovskins12

Status Points:
    Yes, which I plan on doing. However, that still won't help with the price difference. The handbag I ordered was $650, however the very similar one they sent me (which had the same MSRP of $1,095) was only $400, so if I keep it they owe me $250. They said even if I keep it they will need to process a credit back for the one they sent incorrectly and charge me for the actual bag. The problem is, if they issue a credit on the original I will loose the promotion points with BA. I suggested they just credit my card for the difference which they said there system wouldn't allow. So I'm trying to find something to suggest to them that I could still get the price diff they owe me without loosing the points.

4. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am returning some items to Nordstrom that I bought "in the heat of the 36X moment" - such as an ugg scarf with sparkles on it (huh? WTF was I thinking?). anyway, I phoned nordstroms and asked if I returned it, if they could issue me a gift card for the amount, rather than a credit back to my charge card, and they said YES. That is what I plan on doing - but I'm waiting first to see if the avios actually get credited to my account.

by the way, I learned that you can make the return at Nordstrom Rack or Nordstrom. This is much easier since there is a Nordstrom Rack, but no Nordstroms in NYC.

YULtide and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can, try going to a Nordstrom store in person, ideally one which has the handbags you got. A person might be willing to just let you swap or give you a gift card, although perhaps not since you would be asking a brick and mortar store to take a loss to fix an error that was made by the online shopping order fulfillment folks.

ADDED. You might have to decide how much the miles are worth to you.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have shopped at Nordstrom for nearly my entire life as well as having worked there many years ago. Nordstrom has a very good return policy. They will allow you to return it to the store for either store credit via a gift card, allow you to make the exchange if they have the other bag there and give you the difference via a gift card, or just refund you cash... especially if you do not have the credit card available or if it cannot be pulled up off the receipt.

Of course, you'll probably get a lot less scrutiny if you happen to ask for store credit via the gift card but you'll probably want to confirm the points have actually deposited first. The benefit of getting the gift card is that you can then go back online and make another purchase through a rewards mall to get even more points. ;)

7. ilovskins12

Status Points:
    Thanks, i actually wouldnt mind getting a gift card or cash, i just don't want them to have to credit back the original order when i return it which would trigger the points being lost. Do you know how I could suggest getting around this.