NOR1 upgrades at Hyatt Places?!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jun 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I ran across a NOR1 upgrade offer when booking a room at a Hyatt Place, in this case the HP Fremont. My offers:

For $5:

Add a Higher Floor
    • Enhance your view, upgrade to a room located on a higher floor.
    • These rooms are located on the top three floors of the hotel - floors 5 through 7.
    (hmmm, aren't higher floors a choice on the booking? I usually choose that and have always gotten that for free)

For $9:

Add the Bay View
    • Enjoy the quiet and calming effects from having the Bay view from your room.
    Seriously? $9 for Bay View? In Fremont? This is the image they show with this offer:

[​IMG]

I'd rather save $9 and get freeway/NUMI/Tesla view.

For $9:

Gallery Seasonal Food Voucher
    • Begin your day right or unwind after a long day with a hot meal in our Gallery
    • "Gallery Seasonal Food Voucher", is a $15.00 value for only $9.00 per day, per person plus tax
    • Offer is not valid for room service and does not include alcohol.
    For $19:

Oversized Studio with Two Doubles, 475 sq. ft.
    • Perfect for the traveling with the family or multi-day business traveler.
    • Enjoy these oversized rooms featuring two double beds, a larger sleeper sofa and a dining table for two.
    • Work comfortably with our state-of-the-art media and work center with a 42" flat-panel high-definition TV that easily integrates with laptops and other electronic devices.
    This is what the room looks like:

[​IMG]

Looks to me like they just crammed a round table between the wet bar and the desk, for $19.

None of these is of any interest to me. Not on this stay, a MR, but even on a regular stay I'd not be tempted. But maybe I could make them a counter offer: give me $30 off the room rate and put me in a broom closet.

RichardInSF likes this.
  2. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like all profit after the little table is paid off and the palm trees are trimmed to keep that great roof top view!

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Charging $9 for a view at a HP (and a fabulous one at that) is pretty gutsy stuff. :)

I'd take the $15 voucher for $9, though. I usually eat when I'm at HP. I don't think I generally spend more than $15 a meal, so it might not be as good a discount as it initially appears. Wonder if they would let you buy multiple certificates if you were staying multiple nights.

RichardInSF and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Was going to use my normal vernacular, but then thought kids might read this.

bbbb and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am waiting for someone to charge for a NOR1 upgrade for "room with working keycard reader" at this point.

RichardInSF likes this.
  7. I'm at the HP Fremont at least two days most weeks. They always give me 7th floor and a freeway view. Since as a diamond, I'm entitled to the "best room available", that seems to imply that they think the east-facing views are better rooms. I'm inclined to agree. I prefer seeing the mountains over a sliver of bay.

8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the freeway view is considered premium, because you "get to see the world going by" (ducking)...

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also observe new cars and choose what you would like to drive from your rental company next time?

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Didn't National already trademark that? They may be pissed.

11. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    fwiw, I just made another reservation at an HP, and was not offered any upgrade options.. :( ;)

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, as a follow-up to my OP, I obviously opted out of those generous upgrade choices and got the awesome bay view on a high floor (6 or 7, don't recall) for free anyway. And I think I even got one of those "extra big" rooms, alas without the extra dining room table.

And I am a Diamond; does that mean they didn't offer me the best room if your theory holds that the freeway view is the better view? :D

Of course, I enjoyed the view for all but 10 seconds since I was on a MR.

RichardInSF likes this.
  13. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about that too -- there isn't much that can be an upgrade at a HP (as these choices clearly show!), but whatever there is should be given to Diamonds for free.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.