Nook or Other e-Readers - Book Thread?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by catgirl, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just recently purchased the Nook Color. I love it and am always looking to find new books to read, check out from the library, etc.

Any other readers or anyone who would want to start a thread on books they have read and recommend or would like to loan out? I also have a collection of good ebooks that I could email as well.

I don't know how easy that is to get onto the Kindle, which is the main reason I bought the Nook.

If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an Eco Reader, and most of my books are in epub format. Certainly a lot easier for travel than paper backs.
    http://www.ecoreader.com.au/

Kaanapali, JALPak and Horse like this.
  3. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never seen of those before, very cool. If you are ever looking for books in .pdf, I have a bunch of good ones a good friend of mine sent to me. I just downloaded 2 more library books today. Now I have to fly to have time to read them.

I have to say, it is very cool being able to actually read multiple books at one time and have 1 device to do it. [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  4. My wife has a Nook and she loves it, especially since she can get books from the library. Seems like Kindle is the dominant ereader, but I can't figure out why since it doesn't have library access.

sunseeker likes this.
  5. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Wi-Fi Nook regular. It's quite nice, especially after the firmware update. Though I do need to buy more ebooks. I've mostly been reading the classics for free, and buying used hard copies of books (surprisingly cheaper).

6. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to purchase an ebook reader.

For me, the most important requirement is color screen, pdf reader and it is light. I have no preference between nook, kindle or other brands. I am even thinking about the ipad. Do you folks have any suggestions?

7. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love my wife's Nook Color. I just added MP to my(her) favorites on it today [​IMG]. I usually download the free short stories. Works out nice when I'm waiting for my daughter's dance class or something like that.

8. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    You use your ebook reader to surf the net? I really don't need it to surf the net. I have to keep up with technical periodicals and I find reading them via laptop or by monitor is not relaxing. If I order the paper copy, it just gets to be too much paper.

9. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, if you require color, then Kindle is off the table for you. I think Nook is your next best bet.

10. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like it to surf sites like this. I usually check a couple forums and my google reader for blogs. Its all just info, no media or anything like that. Plus it's usually right by the bed so it makes it super easy to just relax in bed reading a forum or blog.

11. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use the Sony ereader pocket size. Fits great in my purse. I don't require the internet as I just download the books to my ereader library on my laptop and then to the ebook. I have a cover with a light and it works great.

12. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Battery life(against the nook color or even the first nook) and the Kindle store has every book I could care to buy;the nook store is a bit limited. And you can now lend out books.
    Proud owner of 3rd gen 3G Kindle.

13. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Me too. The Kindle is also astoundingly light compared to the Nook. And its screen is far more readable. You can read for hours on a Kindle without fatigue because it's not backlit like a Nook. With a Nook your eyes will fatigue just like they do when reading a computer screen, because the Nook IS a computer screen. The Kindle uses entirely different technology.

14. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I own a regular nook and love it. I mostly read ebooks from the library, but I love being able to download a book from B&N on the plane right before the door closes if I need more books for a trip. I used to haul 4 to 6 books on most trips, but now I only need the Nook. One of the advantages of the black and white ereaders is they are supposed to be easy on the eyes, but the Nook color owners with backlit screens are certainly devoted to their devices. I would be interested in lending and borrowing ebooks, but a lot of the ones I bought are not lendable (I think that feature is determined by the publishers on a case by case basis. Some had the "lend me" tabs before but some tabs have disappeared).

15. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah,just the eInk display alone takes the cake for me.

16. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife has a Kobo, from Chapters-Indigo (Canada). It's light, good features, but no wifi.

Toronto public library will let you"borrow" e-books. They expire just like a regular loan...really cool.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I have had two Sony Readers since they first came out three+ years ago (quite a while before the Kindle craze started). I have bought about 150 books for it that we share (she's read all, I have read maybe 20... so it will be a whole before I see a justification to buy a different platform). I personally don't feel the need for wireless access or color; for both I have my iPad. It is nice, though, to be able to access the same books on the iPad, which the Bluefire reader app makes possible (legal without removing the DRM).

I was excited about the ability to download ebooks from my local library until I actually tried it and realized that I'd have been #41 on the waiting list for the book I wanted ;-)

sunseeker likes this.
  18. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was originally torn about getting an e-reader (I love the feel of books!) but I decided to bite the bullet and get the Kindle. I love it. The battery lasts 30 days which is such a convenience. I mostly have classic novels which cost me nothing. I did buy a few books but mostly, I'm enjoying the classics. I got wifi only as I didn't think that it was worth spending an additional $50 for the 'convenience' of being able to spend money on Amazon whenever I wanted. ;) I seem to be near wifi often enough that it's easy to get the books I want.

sunseeker and DenverBrian like this.
  19. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nook Color... great size & weight for travel...

20. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't the regular Nook a non-backlit eInk display similar to the Kindle? I thought only the color display was backlit.

sunseeker likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK -- b/w Nook uses eInk (like Kindle, Sony Reader) while color Nook uses backlit LCD.

sunseeker likes this.
  22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nook Color is basically an Android device that you can get root access to and use as a tablet.

That said I have a kindle 2. Its old now, but it works. I can get an app for my phone when I want one to be backlit or for the computer.

sunseeker likes this.
  23. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OP wrote about the color Nook, so that's what I was comparing.

sunseeker likes this.
  24. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tenmoc and ACMM like this.
  25. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a Sony Daily Edition eReader... I love the thing. :)

Instead of carting around 5-10 books on a lengthy holiday, I now just have the Reader.
    One of the best parts is the ability to borrow ebooks from the New york Public Library. :)

Mangy, savydog, catgirl and 1 other person like this.