Noob saying hi

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by servo, Aug 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    **also posted in the Newbies board, as I found it after this one - feel free to delete if considered a duplicate

I've been a travel lover ever since I got on my first airplane and train, and have casually been logging rewards through my various travels over the last few years. I'm based in Orlando (MCO and I've used SFB as well), and have friends pretty much all over the Midwest, with the hometown being SDF. I've been using SWA RR for the last few years, but after getting married back in April, and a more recent desire to begin traveling internationally, I've decided to start looking into the legacy carriers and their credit cards. I've read all the blogs I could find in the last few weeks and am eager to get started.

Here's the rub though; everyone says don't go on crazy card app binges if you're going to have a major purchase in 24 months. Well, my wife and I are interested in possibly buying a house down the road (we rent a house currently), but she'd have to get a different job for us to move to the area that we'd want to buy in, so it MIGHT happen, but it also might not. Considering that if we do in fact get one, it would likely be on the tail end of that 24 month mark, so I'm less apprehensive about getting into the game a little bit.

This year, prior to learning about all of the message boards and bloggers, I got the AmEx Blue (which I've come to realize isn't really worth much), Cap One Venture (40k miles now) and Priority Club Visa (95k points now). I just applied and was immediately approved for the following:

AA Advantage Visa - $8,500 limit - supposedly 50k miles after $3k spending in 4 months (but the application made no mention of any bonuses. I will confirm once I receive the cards and call to activate them.
    AA Advantage AmEx - same as above (used the 2 browser trick and worked like a charm)

Barclays US Air MC - 30k miles after first purchase

That's 6 cards this year, and I'm a bit cautious about doing more in the next 24 months, with that potential mortgage application hanging over my head.

I'm looking forward to jumping into this a bit more once that gets resolved, because it seems like flying first class in a lay flat seat overseas is within reach, and I never assumed that would be possible, even on a better than decent income.

Tenmoc and tommy777 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    All all 6 on one of the credit reports or were they spread out. I know for me; US Airways pulls from TransUnion.

Also are all 6on just yours or yours & the wifey?

3. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're all mine. The first 3 were spread out (April - Cap One), (June - Blue Sky) (July - Priority Club) and the other 3 were done all the same night 2 nights ago.

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    In that case i would pull my reports to see what cra they pulled from.
    Also check your fico next month after the most recent activity has hit the cra

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, servo46250! :)

servo46250 likes this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can say that AmEx sent my score they used back in June and it was 781, so that'll be an interesting baseline to monitor after 4 more cards were added. I'm pretty sure I read that the Barclay card only uses TransUnion, but not sure about the other 3.

Tenmoc likes this.