Noob Question on Upgrades for new Premier member

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by koctail, Oct 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. koctail

koctail Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife just did a status match with United and she was granted Premier status, I believe it's also referred to as 2P, the lowest on the totem pole. She has a flight upcoming from SFO to MCI. It is a CRJ-700 with only 6 first class seats. The way i understand it she will automatically be upgraded to 1st class if those seats are available of course and she would be notified within 48 hours prior to departure. is this correct? if there are no 1st class available does she get upgraded to economy plus if available? is there anything she needs to do to increase her chance at an upgrade?

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    She will be upgraded if there is upgrade space (sometimes they will hold out a seat or two for last minute purchases). She actually can select Economy Plus now until the new scheme is put into place next year. Right now, the main way to increase her chances is to fly more to get to 1P, however next year she will be able to purchase a higher fare ticket to improve standing on the upgrade list.

AZjohn and koctail like this.
  3. koctail

koctail Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the info, so as a Premier she can select Economy Plus for no extra $?

4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For now, that is correct. That changes when the new MP program launches next year, when a Premier Silver will only be able to select them for free 24 hours before the flight.

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi koctail,
    That's a long way to go on one of those small jets:eek:
    As mowogo said, she should be able to get E+ seat now (if any are still available) but sadly I would give her a very small chance of getting UG'ed to First out of SFO. Is your home airport SFO? If so, being a 2P (not sure what we are calling a 2P starting next year???), she will have a very hard time UG'ing most any flights out of there without using miles/$ unless she buys Y/M/B fare. SFO is just a very heavy elite hub and even 1K's have a hard time UG'ing there, but there is still a small chance.
    Cheers,
    John

6. koctail

koctail Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it is a long flight in only a CRJ. Frontier flys this same route and it appears United is just competing with them since SFO is their hub. Thanks for all the info. I did get her into E+ but I agree she has slim to none chance of 1st. Does United send an email within that 48 hr window to notify her if she was or was not upgraded?

7. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The email is spotty. I have received emails previously, but have not been getting them lately