Noob question on out of country car rentals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by serion, Jun 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never rented a car out of country and was wondering if I could get some advice from the friendly folks here.

I'm trying to plan a trip to Iceland this fall and would like to rent a car. I know my Amex has an option for me to make it's rental coverage primary, but it will only cover the car I'm renting. I also know my auto insurance here in the US won't provide any coverage out of the country. How do I go about getting liability coverage (to pay for the other person's car in case of an at fault accident)? The CDW that most rental car companies offer seem to also only cover the rental.

Oh, one other question -- is there a cost effective way to use Ultimate Reward or Membership Reward points for a rental? Converting them into say United then renting a car seems like a waste of points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    *crickets chirping*

3. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've sort of wondered about the liability (to others) question myself, though I hadn't thought of it until recently. Some countries have a certain amount of third-party liability that the car owner must carry on the vehicle, but I'm not sure about Iceland. I wonder if there are any travel insurance policies that provide it.

Iceland doesn't appear to require an International Drivers Permit, but always check before you leave if a country or rental agency does require one (it's only $15 from AAA so not a big deal).

The thing to consider if you use any type of points or miles for a rental, is that your credit card coverage most likely will not apply. Most cards require that you pay for the entire cost of the rental with the card and if you use points for some or all, you'd need to buy the CDW or similar. Since the CDW often is as much as the daily base rate, I've so far never found it to be of value, but YMMV of course.

serion likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/frommers/...nd/frm_iceland_0260020156.html?pagewanted=all

Insurance
    -- Basic third-party liability insurance is included in car-rental rates. Cars usually come with a standard collision damage waiver but a high deductible; in other words, if you get into a scrape you are liable for, say, the first 62,500kr ($1,000/£500) or 93,750kr ($1,500/£750) in damages, beyond which the insurance pays. For an extra cost -- say, 750kr ($12/£6) per day -- you could bring the deductible down to 12,500kr ($200/£100) on a standard car. This is often a good idea in Iceland, where cars face hazardous conditions.

serion and PanAm like this.
  5. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked this out last fall when I went to Australia. Having never driven on the other side of the road, I wanted to make sure I was covered for everything. The coverage for the car we pretty much equal to the base rental, and the car rental company told me that covered everything - including damage to another vehicle.

6. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for pointing that out! I knew that, but wasn't thinking about it while planning all of this in my head. Does give me something to think about.

7. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, thank you, for finding that awesome article and answer to my question! I can always count on the MP community!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was helpful! I am heading to Iceland in August!

serion likes this.
  9. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    You headed there for Hinsegin Degar?

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was not known to me but apparently we will be there for part of it! Cool!