Noob question on a reward itinerary

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tahewett, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    After a LOT of reading (thanks to all the experts here and elsewhere that are so willing to share your tips!) and even more earning/savings of miles, I was able to find and book my first ever miles redemption. I found and booked the following itinerary on the CO.com website for myself, the Mrs., and our daughter for next July/August (107,500 miles each):

SFO-ICN on UA in C, then ICN-HKG on OZ in C (stopover for 3 days)
    HKG-SYD on VS in C, then SYD-AKL on NZ in C (destination)
    AKL-SYD on NZ in Y, then SYD-SFO on UA in Y (not enough miles or availability to do the whole trip in C sadly, but the direct flight home won't be too bad in E+)

My questions now are...what next? Obviously I wasn't able to select seats on the OZ, VS or NZ segments so I'm assuming a call to those three airlines is in order to do this. Will I need to get a confirmation number from each of those airlines to be able to check in before each leg, or can I use the CO confirmation (I doubt this)? What other steps should I be taking now to make sure this goes as smoothly as the booking process was??

Thanks in advance for any helps/tips/insight here.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call Continental and directly request the Confirmation Numbers for each Airline and then call each Airline to get seat assignments. That is a decent reward redemption however if you can get SFO-ICN on Asiana instead I'd recommend that over United C.

tahewett and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

I did try to get that, but the availability and timing worked better on the UA route.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep checking from now to the day of departure but whatever works for you all =)

tahewett likes this.
  5. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will keep looking. I guess you'd say that would be worth a change fee? (I'm CO Gold, Wife Silver, daughter just general member so I believe we'd have to pay to change those tickets)

6. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    From http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/onepass/rules/rewards.aspx about half way down the page. Unless you're going in less than 21 days, it's fee free.:

FLIGHT CHANGES: Flight changes, including standby, may be made on the day of departure in accordance with the Same-Day Change Policy. All other itinerary changes will be subject to the applicable change fees below.

OnePass Elite Members
    General Silver Gold Platinum
    Ticketed Dec. 15, 2009 or later $75 per traveler* $50 per traveler* $25 per traveler* $0

* Fee is waived for reward changes 21 days or more in advance, as long as there is no change to the origin and destination.
    Fees are based on the status of the account holder at the time the change is requested.

tahewett likes this.
  7. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Brilliant! Thanks much for that gem.

8. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try to find award space on NZ from AKL back to U.S. vs. tracking back to SYD.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you might have noticed, besides the 21 day rules, it also depends on whose miles were used to book the tickets. If they were all booked from your Gold account, the fees, when they come into effect, are lower than for a Silver or GM. This is a good reason why, if using miles from multiple accounts, you should strategize which redemptions are most likely to require a change sometime in the future. I like to drain miles from my girlfriend's account whenever possible since she has lower status and higher fees. My higher status effectively increase the value of my miles compared to hers.

I find that January and February MRs are the best. If you can fit some of those in you may be able to change your return trip home to C at some point closer in after you've earned sufficient miles. For now the Y seats you have are your backup.

tahewett likes this.