(non) trip report LAN 792 GIG-MIA

Discussion in 'LAN | LANPASS' started by jbcarioca, Feb 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This flight began operating only a week ago, the first ever LAN operation Brazil-US. The prices were great so I booked fro a flight leaving nine hours ago. The litany of events was:
    1) LAN is no longer capable of entering the full legal name of passengers! They did not too long ago, but no longer.
    2) There is no provision for entering passport number and secure flight details. When I called the call center I was rudely told it was not required, not even the passport number. I protested and the first agent hung up on me.
    3) The system did not accept either my AAdvantage number nor that of my spouse. No surprise, the names did not match.
    4) Another call center call, this time polite, and the AAdvantage numbers and Trusted Traveler numbers were entered, allegedly.
    5) We went to GIG a bit early last night, leery that this really would work.
    6) :eek: No LAN checkin, although the flight was on the board.
    7) We then went to the LAN service desk. Two polite people told us that the flight was cancelled, that all February flights on the route had been cancelled due to the B787 grounding, so less heavily booked routes were being cancelled in favor of more dense routes, but...
    8) Why were we not informed? Said they, all the other passenger were but you had no contact information on file. (my iPad showed the LAN reservation complete with two telephone and an email as well. :rolleyes:)
    9) Politely they rerouted us on an AA flight tonight. They advised us that we should arrive tonight about four hours in advance because there were many people who were flying in Business class and Elite passengers who were also displaced so the Economy lines would be horrendous. ( I had not the heart to inform her of EXP and PLT between us, nor that we were in Business ourselves.
    10) Finally, I asked for the AA PNR. She told me it was the same as the AA one. :oops:
    11) Arriving home at 01:00 via taxi paid for by LAN, who volunteered a hotel too, and a taxi for the return trip tonight, I resolved to try to fix the potential problems before sleeping.
    12) On AA.com I entered the LA pnr after signing in. Lo and behold, a miracle! The outbound flight appeared, and immediately showed the correct AA pnr. I chose seats. Not together, but seats. I looked at passenger data. aa.com asked first for our AAdvantage numbers, then automatically corrected LA errors in names, total absence of Secure Flight data, and trusted Traveler data. Thank you AA.:D
    13) The return flights were rebooked on TAM. However tam.com.br showed no such pnr nor could it find the flight under my Fidelidade number. la.com was zero help. I decided to give up on TAM.
    14) Back to the LAN call center where I asked for a change to an AA return flight. Zero problem, but I did wait on the phone for 37 minutes while they reissued. The polite person told me they'd send me an email, but one never arrived.
    15) Hoping against hope I returned to aa.com only to find the return flights were already in their system. I chose seats, all the correct information was still on the pnr and the sage, I hope, has ended.

I think I'll give up on LAN. They've been very good inflight, but their call center is the worst one I have ever used anywhere (I have had some horrible ones too), their website is impossible to use and remain complaint with Secure Flight. Online check in (I did not discuss that insane process) does apparently not work, at least for Brazil-originated flights.

I hope I'll have no more events about which I will need to post displeasing information.

zpaul, kiwi, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry to hear about this issue.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, but it does give us the cheapest AA business class trip to MIA ever!

tondoleo likes this.