Non refundable ticket

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by lusfort, Oct 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, I have a questions with regards to U.S airways.

If a company had booked a air ticket for me, but I'll have to cancel the flight, would the residual value be stored under my name or the credit card of the firm that paid for it?

Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks!

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely, the company that bought the ticket will receive the paid value as credit for future use. It's possible that the company and US Air have a different procedure in their travel contract, but not very likely. In other words, you won't get the credit.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it is non-refundable then there is no credit back to anyone. You might be able to change it, paying the change fee but I'd be careful about that depending on who bought the ticket for you and what your relationship is with them long term.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    The issue is that the firm invited me up for an interview and booked a ticket for me. Due to the fact that I am not really interested in the firm and most possibly can't meet the requirements for employment, I would probably be cancelling the interview. However, the ticket is already booked.

Now i want to use the ticket because
    1) my girlfriend is in that particular city, and i love it when i get a 'free' flight up
    2) I need a couple more thousand points to reach *G for this year.

The impending hurricane on the east coast has presented a very interesting situation.
    Firstly, the firm has now cancelled the Superday and told us to standby for further instructions
    Secondly, U.S airways is allowing us to make changes to our original itinerary without penalty ( +-5 days of our original flights)

I've made a decision to fly up to see my gf regardless. We shall see what happens.

5. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of different things can happen.. but karma has a way of setting things straight.

I would tell your gf that you still want to visit but are currently unsure of the situation given the storm and cancelled situation. I would just simply wait right now regarding your ticket. If they tell you to refund the ticket, you are screwed if you've already cashed in the voucher.

The prospective firm hiring you is paying for the ticket. Your end of the bargain is to show up and talk to people. If it's mutually desired that it's a bad fit, that is what it is. But they've committed to buy your ticket / cover expenses as long as you show up to their office and attend the superday.

Also- be careful that some corporate tickets at US Airways book into full Y - fully refundable / changeable. Most commonly on the shuttle.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel quite a bit on third party tickets (e.g., US government) and usually the third party is in the driver's seat. If you tell them that you are not going to meet with them, the ticket is no longer yours to do with as you wish. They will cancel it, and it very likely allows them one change/cancellation because most companies face such situations and thus make the necessary provisions to avoid wasting money...

7. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea i totally understand that.
    This firm booked me into non refundable cheapest tickets available.

I'm definitely ready to rebook my own ticket, but I think there are too many moving parts to the situation right now.
    I shall wait and see how this plays out.

If the ticket is going to go wasted ( U.S airways says ticket has no residual value one the dates of travel has passed). Then I'm definitely gonna take it.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Karma's a bitch.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This ticket should figure in the equation ONLY if you wish to go to meet with folks at this company. The way I see it is that even if it is going to go to waste, you cannot morally, maybe even legally, use it for your own purpose. You can 'take it' if you buy it from the company...

vespa2 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  10. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright, I'm gonna offer to buy it from them then.
    Making my intentions known.

vespa2 and Wandering Aramean like this.