Non-qualifying rates

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Tax Dude, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tax Dude
    Original Member

Tax Dude Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's the collective wisdom on "Non-qualifying rates"? I stayed at the HI Waikiki Beachcomber on three bookings a couple of weeks ago and one of my stays didn't earn any points because it was "non-qualifying". That stay was booked (pre-paid, non-opaque) on the aircanada.com website because the priority club website showed no availability in January. It was exactly the same price as the two bookings I made on pc.com for February dates - both of which received points. I emailed priority club and got the following response:

Dear Mr Tax Dude,
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding your Priority Club® Rewards account.
    We have reviewed your request for credit on your stay in question on *******. We would like to inform you that the usual measure for a room rate's eligibility for points under Priority Club Rewards' Terms and Conditions is the level of discount relative to the hotel's prevailing rack rate.
    Unfortunately, the room rate paid during the stay in question was deeply discounted and is ineligible for credit to your account. We have provided the link for Priority Club Rewards' Terms and Conditions below:
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/ptc.html

Travelman likes this.
  2. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any stay not booked through the PC website is considered non-qualifying.

Travelman likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you book outside of the PC site as the iceman stated you usually do not get points. When booking PC on another site, make sure the deal you are getting is worth not receiving points for. There are some deals that make losing the points well worth it.

Travelman likes this.
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does incidental spend earn any points when staying at a non-qualifying rate?

Travelman likes this.
  5. traveldawg

traveldawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    A previous inquiry that I made (some time ago) indicated that if the rate paid is less than 75%; then it is a non-qualifying stay. Sorry I cannot be more definitive.

Travelman likes this.
  6. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It should do, even on reward nights, but sometimes doesn't.

Tim O'Brien and Travelman like this.
  7. wrong info. I recently stayed at four ICHG properties in different Countries and all reservations were done by a TA and all four posted my points. Maybe the TA did them through the PC website but I think not because she got rates I could not get on line.

Tim O'Brien, Travelman and ag51 like this.
  8. I have found that if I feel strongly about my position with PC and persist they eventually come around. Sometimes you have to call and demand to speak with a supervisor....remember though you are dealing with a service center in Manila but they do have expat supervision.

9. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True - the Terms and Conditions actually define the following as non-qualifying, so it is a bit vague:

net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate

The usual threshold for nights to not post as qualifying is if they are discounted below 70% of the flexible rate, so even some rates booked through Priority Club will not qualify under that criteria. However, Advance Purchase rates booked direct/through priorityclub.com will always qualify:

Eligible Charges Worldwide include the following Qualifying Room Rates paid for hotel room nights: including the hotel’s Advanced Purchase Rate, Best Flexible Rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG's HOLIDEX® Plus reservation systems. Points will be awarded for Qualifying Room Rates booked through IHG central reservation offices, IHG web sites, travel agents or directly at the hotel. In addition, in North, South and Central America and the Caribbean, points may be collected on locally negotiated rates if these rates are discounted less than 30%. At Asia Pacific hotels, Qualifying Room Rates also include all locally negotiated rates.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/ptc.html

10. ag51.....good summary

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    While Priority Club will often cite a discounted room rate as reason for denying stay/points credit, that limitation only applies to "locally negotiated rates" in "North, South and Central America and the Caribbean," Priority Club rarely reads its own terms and conditions. I've never had denial for 'too big a discount' stand.

12. But you can book through amex bonus points mall, get 3 additional amex points per $ spent excluding taxes, and the bonus site redirects you back to IHG's site.

It's well worth doing in my view as you get all the usual PC points and the valuable amex ones.

13. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked stays on 3rd party sites and they all showed up as non-qualifying.

Skyvillager likes this.