Non-EU traveling within EU.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by USAJerry, Apr 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

Status Points:
    Hope I'm not posting in the wrong spot as this is kind of a concern for me. I wanted to get an answer before booking my flight.

I'm from the USA and am traveling to Europe this Summer. I'll be in Amsterdam for four days to start off. After that, I fly from Amsterdam to Ibiza while connecting in Barcelona.

Do I have to go through customs in Barcelona before connecting to Ibiza since I'll be entering a new country? Or will I go through customs in Ibiza? Or will I not be going through customs at all since this is travel within the EU. Or is there a different customs point at Barcelona for non-EU residents?

I just wanted to know as the approximate wait time (if I have to go through customs in Barcelona) affects which flight itinerary I book.

Thanks for the help. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've never booked a seperate flight itinerary within an overall trip while traveling abroad.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since both the Netherlands and Spain are in the Schengen area, there will be no passport control required for you. You might technically go through Spanish customs, but I doubt it, and if you do, you shouldn't have anything to declare, so it will simply be walking through a hallway for those with no declarations. If you go through customs, it would be in Barcelona since Barcelona to Ibiza is a domestic flight.

I hope this helps until someone with more specific knowledge of Barcelona's airport can answer.

jbcarioca and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is correct. For the Schengen Treaty countries, one goes through customs only once, at the port of entry, and then it becomes just like traveling within the US after clearing customs at the port of entry -- no more customs or passport control after that...

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. USAJerry

USAJerry Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. I'll be flying back home from Ibiza but it's a separate flight. So I'm doing Ibiza to Madrid one day on a simple one-way itinerary, spending the night, then flying Madrid back to IAD. I was just concerned because I don't have one set itinerary as I pieced the trip together using my FF Miles and paying cheap rates for short hops and whatnot.

Bottom line is that I was worried that I would have issues leaving Spain to come home even if I never went through customs when entering Spain since how I got to Spain was on a separate one-way flight from Amsterdam to Barcelona (then on to Ibiza). I wouldn't want to have any issues with customs with them asking, "Why are you in Spain? We have no records of you being in Spain.", when I went to leave the country to come home.

I hope everyone understands why I am concerned here.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Europe these days you'll have to beg to get someone to stamp your passport. Even 20 years ago I cheesed off some people I was hitchhiking with when I asked at a border to have my passport stamped and it took 15 minutes for the folks at the border post to find the stamp.

And don't worry, no one is wondering what you might be bringing from Amsterdam to Ibiza that might cause a problem at customs! :cool:

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, technically it's Immigration that you don't need to go through once you're in the Schengen area, since Schengen is an immigration zone; it's the EU that is the customs zone, and within the EU you don't need to clear customs again once you're inside it.

The Schengen zone is not identical to the EU customs zone, but in this case it doesn't matter, since the Netherlands and Spain are both in each.

The only thing you're likely to be asked when you depart from Madrid is when you entered the Schengen zone. As mentioned, it's hard to find someone to stamp your passport when you travel across borders within Schengen. However, they'll probably stamp you into Schengen when you arrive at Amsterdam, so when you depart they'll usually just look at your passport to make sure you haven't been inside Schengen for over 90 days.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely right. You'll need a passport, and a visa if applicable, to cross into UK+Ireland, Bulgaria, Romania, and Cyprus... So, let's make this the authoritative thread on Schengen area...

schengen_map_en.gif

Valentine and Flyer1976 like this.