Non Blogger Suite Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Tenmoc, Apr 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone who isn't a blogger get to use the suite upgrades at any hotels of consequence?

Been diamond for 3 groups of suite upgrades and the only one I've been able to use was a one night burn in a local hotel on a mattress run.

What is the value of the program? Especially when the suite they use to upgrade into is available for sale for the whole stay more than 6 months out.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I was getting suite upgrades at Hyatt long before I was a blogger of any consequence. I also think @Garp74 has had some good experiences as a non-blogger.

Tenmoc likes this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just frustrated with it.

Especially since the suites are available for sale. It is like Hyatt turned into SPG.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    What property?

Tenmoc likes this.
  5. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Good Morning Tenmoc!

If you would like to PM me your account details along with your desired hotel and stay dates I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks!

Thomask and Tenmoc like this.
  6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    pms sent to both of you.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I've used all of my Hyatt Diamond Suite Upgrades so far. I initially became Diamond at the Star MegaDO that visited Munich, Chicago, and Denver, but I don't remember the year. I've had some normal upgrades, although I try to avoid using them when the room category is really a junior suite. I've also had a few above and beyond upgrades. Most of my stays are 1-4 nights, although again I try to avoid using a DSU on a one night stay unless the upgrade cert is otherwise about to expire unused. All of my upgrades have been confirmed at booking, some far in advance and others not.

8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I get suite upgrades all the time at IHG properties. I'm a Platinum with a ton of points with them which might help.

The only way I don't get an upgrade is if:
    A. I want want for a specific hotel or
    B. My wife is with me :)

Thomask likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much for the claim that Hyatt GP DSUs are the "best in the business" because they can be "confirmed" at booking (some folks have gone as far as saying this means that they are "guaranteed" at booking). What this confirms, instead, is that Hyatt GP DSUs are subject to availability like elite suite upgrades in any of the other programs... ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Tenmoc likes this.
  10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a giant suite during the Austin Mega Do at the Hyatt Regency Austin...was just given the opportunity to use one in London....got a Suite without asking at the Andaz Shanghai a couple of weeks back....upgraded to giant suite last year in New York at the Andaz Wall Street.

I think this is one benefit that they really do deliver on quite well.

11. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who ever said you were a blogger of consequence? :p:D

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That the OP felt the need to create this thread at all means that your statement is not universally true. Most programs do deliver quite well on elite suite upgrades when there is good availability. Therefore, all that your success means is that availability, which depends on a number of factors including hotel location and season, was good at those properties, and not because of anything that the program does especially well...;)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Tenmoc likes this.
  13. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So much is determined on loads of the hotel. Few weeks ago i got upgraded. At a hotel that was at capacity as a guy tried to addon a night.

Other times i get a regular room at a property i stay at often.

I stay at hotels for convetions and such generally where loads are high and suites tend to be comped to organizers.

Sometimws all you gotta do is ask too.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just saw the following in the Hyatt GP T&C and wonder if it really means what I think it means
    What I think it means is that there is no option to "waitlist" Diamond suite upgrades if nothing is available at booking. Is that right? Does anyone have experience with this?
    Suppose nothing is available at booking but I check back some time later and a suite upgrade becomes available. Could I request it then?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Gtitan and Thomask like this.
  15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you don't get waitlisted. You need to keep inquiring.

Tenmoc likes this.