Non-Apple Music Device

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Sep 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have an old Sansa player that I use only for the gym. It is fine enough for that, and I really up to this point don't have any other need for moblie music. The music is on Rhapsody (but all mine). I know, just like Fred and Barney, but it has always been fine enough.

Now, I will probably be buying a new car, and of course, it has 1 CD slot, and a plug for a device Suggestions? (Both for device and software) I'd prefer not to buy Apple products for this.

Espan and garyst16 like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    pretty much any smartphone can double as a mp3 device these days... why hold onto another device?

Espan likes this.
  3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, my smartphone also comes from Bedrock, and given that Verizon finally has 4G worldphones, but doesn't have any international data plans for them yet (pay per use only), I will probably hold on to my Blackberry as long as it functions well. So, that is why!

4. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I too was a Sansa user, specifically, the E260 which I had for years...it finally gave up the ghost earlier this year and was sadly replaced... Like you, I didn't want an Apple device for my music. I found the Sony NWZ-A860 Walkman. Now don't be put off by the name...this is not the Walkman of old (if you are old enough to remember the original). This unit is similar in size and weight to the Sansa E series but the sound is incredible. The bass this unit puts out kicks some serious a$$!

I think the unit I purchased has been replaced by the 864 or 865 models, but I've got to believe they are as solid as the 860 model. I absolutely love this MP3 player and am very satisfied with my non-Apple purchase.

Walkman.jpg

Espan likes this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    only using it for music? no other possible uses?

6. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't know if this question is for me or the OP... The Walkman can also be used for videos, voice recording, Bluetooth connectivity, and FM tuner...

7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not just stay with the Sansa if you are happy with it?

8. Menashe

Menashe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I put an 8GB micro SD in my BlackBerry and use it in my car through the Aux jack.

edekba likes this.
  9. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    I've had quite an audiophile crush on Cowon mp3 players for some time now. They all seem to sound awesome and they have quite a variety of players now for whatever you're looking for: http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/product_mp3_main.php

The Cowon J3 is nice all around... or the x7 if you have a ridiculous amount of music like I seem to.

Edit: You might want to grab one of these options (Walkman above included) before Apple sues them for using the hyper-specific "rectangle with rounded corners" design Apple invented :rolleyes:

garyst16 likes this.