No YQ for US flights to Europe

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by nor4, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nor4

nor4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been looking for a *A flight to CDG or BRU in March and have notice US typically has the cheapest flights. When I check the fare details on ITA, there is no YQ listed, although the fare basis is usually a bit higher.

Anybody know the reasoning behind this by US? The bottom line is usually a savings of $100 plus.

2. No direct answer, but it won't surprise me if YQ was being built directly into the fare cost with US ...

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should know this by now due to the amount of time I've spent on these forums, but not positive I know what YQ is? I feel like that's the abbreviation for a fuel surcharge on an international flight....is that correct? If it is, can someone explain where "YQ" came from? And if incorrect, someone please set me straight!

4. nor4

nor4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes its the international fuel surcharge code. Not sure where it comes from though, but where do any of those codes come from?

5. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I really don't like about fuel surcharges is they're inflated. Granted fuel is at least 40% of airline costs and fuel has gone up 58% from last summer (NYT). But a foreign carrier will break the ticket down to say $300 for the ticket and $500 for the fuel surcharge.

Not nice since it makes ff rewards with fuel surcharges on foreign metal worth a whole lot less. If this ever comes to USA people won't be too concerned with getting ff miles.

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The great thing about US not adding fuel surcharges to their fares is that US flights become really attractive to redeem miles on with international frequent flyer programs that charge YQ on award redemptions (eg bmi Diamond Club).

7. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same holds true with ANA but aren't there programs that add a fuel surcharge no matter the carrier you're flying? M&M, SQ?