No upgrade policy at Aloft hotels?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Sep 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone

Just checked into the Aloft London Excel and was told by the front desk that there is a policy at all Aloft hotels not to upgrade platinums...

They have suites available and are willing to sell them at a huge premium over the rack rate, but won't upgrade. Is this kosher?

2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    And the twitter team is slightly quicker ;)

No upgrades at Aloft or Element hotels. Fair enough.

The standard rooms are fairly nice too :rolleyes:

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    sendaiben and marcwint55 like this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    that policy appears to be in line with SPG T&C (and hence dependent on hotel discretion) :

SPG Plat Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/pref...nefits/platinum_preferred.html?language=en_US

• Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As for me, it's a surprise that SPG PLT member don't get any upgrades at Aloft and Elements. As such, I would avoid them, otherwise hope that the individual properties nevertheless recognize PLT members. As seen above, the SPG PLT member was upgraded at the Element FRA, it's all about discretion of course.

MX, sendaiben and marcwint55 like this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised to learn that Alofts even have suites. I know the ones I visit often in the US don't. So maybe the policies don't really fit how the handful with suites operate.

I've received suite upgrades at Elements as well, so it seems that the brand is a little more oriented toward that.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It truly depends on the property, brand and location. Cheers.

8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been upgraded at Element with no problems. I can't imagine why any hotel would not recognize a top tier member and reward them for their loyalty.

MX, uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  9. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a bit surprised (and disappointed to be honest). It does mean I'll be less likely to choose Aloft or Element properties in the future if I have a choice and am travelling with my wife :)

When I'm on my own I don't need a suite :D

uggboy and marcwint55 like this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would certainly advise SPG about your feelings, as they do pay attention to comments and feedback. A suite is really a must when I travel with the wife. Even when I am alone, I usually have a suite as I like to keep my work room separate so I can relax and not think about work when I am finished.

alfagirl, sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  11. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    A GM of a Aloft Hotel told me that they regularly get complains about that from SPG P members. I am sure the GM's have brought that up with SPG that governs the program.

sendaiben and uggboy like this.