No Stopover on Star Alliance Open-Jaw Award?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Sep 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    United improved its award rules a few months back, specifically allowing a stopover on intercontinental open-jaw itineraries. Does that rule not apply if there are any Star Alliance segments in the mix? The rules seem to read differently for UA awards and Star awards.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You still get a stopover on sound-trip awards, even with *A metal included.

3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not according to the 1K desk just now, and the written rules do differ a little on the UA website.

Star awards:

Include one stopover if you are traveling round trip between regions; for example, between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, or between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East or Europe). You can have five stopovers if flying on a Round-The-World Award.

All-UA awards:

Include one stopover when traveling round trip between regions on roundtrip or open-jaw itineraries; for example, between the continental U.S. and Hawaii, or between the U.S. and the Caribbean, Asia, Australia, Central America, South America, Middle East or Europe). You can have five stopovers if flying on a Round-The-World Award.

Will CO ticket the type of itinerary I want? The problem is, I'm trying to modify a pre-existing UA reservation.

4. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    Postscript: Looks like I got tripped up by a combination of the sloppy United wording above, and a bad (though relatively experienced) agent. Calling back, I was fortunate to reach the Honolulu reservations center. They did what I wanted, and what may be permitted by United (who knows?).

5. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    With United miles, can you still have a stop over with a one-way award between zones? Or do you have to have a RT Itinerary to be allowed the one stop over?

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United or Continental Miles...You will need the RT for the stopover regardless...