No SFO->LHR award availability 1 year out?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by SFOPeter, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been checking clubworld/1st award flights from SFO-LHR for next summer and it is coming up empty every day, even for economy. Is anyone having any luck here? Thanks! Peter

2. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the Olympics are changing availability?

3. beachfan

beachfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    For LAX, availability LAX-LHR is loaded later (seems like a month). Very frustrating to see LHR-MLE availability but nothing loaded for LAX-LHR.

So I gave up on MLE and working on JNB instead. Is booking LAX-LHR on any date when I see the right LHR-JNB availability and then just change the date? If I move the connection time in LHR for LAX-LHR/LHR-JNB from outside 24 hours to inside 24 hours , would I get the extra tax returned.

4. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if I understand the first part of your question. But regarding the tax, it is my understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong), if the flights are connecting flights (I THINK under 24 hrs.) then you will not get hit with the LHR departure taxes, but I am not 100% on this. Perhaps a quick call or message to BA would help sort it out (or someone else who is reading this that has more experience than myself).

5. beachfan

beachfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll rephrase the question.

I know departure tax from LHR is only charged when the connecting flight is more than 24 hours after the arrival. If I book a ticket with a stopover (i.e. > 24 hours) and then change it so the connection is less than 24 hours, do I get the tax refunded? ( It's only a date change)

6. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I see. I definitely don't know the answer to that. The BA board over on the other site is a bit more active, so you might want to try posting it there to see if someone knows.

7. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    aha! should've thought of that. thanks for the insight. :)

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think even taking the Olympics out of the equation summer is a busy time of the year for that routing.

I tried to get a tix from SFO or LAX to LHR for the month of May this year using the companion tix. I called BA and the rep told me it was as I was seeing it on EF, all classes of cabin were heavily booked and there was nothing up for grabs. Admittedly I was trying to do this 6 weeks out, but I was surprised that every seat seemed to be taken.

9. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    usually there is plenty of availability 1 year out. did a bit more investigation and there are a ton of options from east coast cities like IAD. but the entire west coast is locked up - SFO/LAX/SAN/SEA. found a couple of spots in PHX but they are not ideal. BA is obviously locking down 1 year out availability from west coast cities, it's quite odd.

10. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see LAS on your list, perhaps check there as well.

11. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are good availability in First SFO-LHR in May and early June. I just booked 3 F tickets for mid to late May, 2012.

12. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking for 1 or 2 tickets in CW using the calendar:
    1) I found some limited availability from LAX in May, June, and July;
    2) from SAN the entire month of May was available with limited availability in June and July.
    In F for 2:
    1) SAN shows basically the same availability, wide open in May and only a few days in June and July;
    2) LAX shows good availability for May and until about June 18th;
    3) SFO shows only May 1 outbound with 15 or so inbound dates in May, nothing outbound in June or July.

13. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Business is always a bit thin, but F seems to be pretty good regularly, you might be hitting things like olympics and wimbledon?