No seat assignment possible

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jw3putt, Feb 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got 2 business class award tickets for ogg-sfo-jfk for Jan 2. United will not let me get seat assignments. Online and customer service state: "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat at check in" Is this because we are way out on the travel date, or possible equipment substitutions?

Newscience likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is because sometimes that happens. Rare, but it does. Odds are it'll clear up in a short while and you'll be able to select then.

8MiHi likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That flight is scheduled for January 2, 2015? Amazing! Most airlines won't permit you to book award tickets greater than 330 days out.

No matter what your "seat assignments" may be this far out, I'd suggest that both the actual flights, as well as the seat assignments, are subject to changes. Just keep monitoring this with UA (online and by phone).

We book our vacation flights pretty far out (I did the 330-day in advance arrangement with AA last year), and have had our flights and seat assignments changed by the airlines as we got closer to the actual flight dates.

adrianors and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    United opens up a few days before AA. Currently UA is working on Jan. 4 while AA is Dec 29

Newscience likes this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent! Remember that YMMV, and I'm willing to bet you an adult beverage that your flight and/or seating will change between now and the day that your airplane actually leaves the ground. It has happened to us all too often with way-in-advance miles reservations! Good luck!

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happened to me and when I called 1k line they just gave me a bunch of gobbedly - gook! Two days later I was able to select seats online (also a far out reservation)

7. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to get seat assignments this morning online. Too bad United could not provide an initial explanation that there would only a few days delay in picking seats. Both the customer service rep and online notice indicated that seating assignments would be available at check in. The feed back I got on this site put my fears at ease. I guess this is one reason we use Milepoint.

Steve GadFly likes this.
  8. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I figured it out. You can book online 337 days out, but cannot get seat assignments until 330 days out!!!!!

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice job figuring it out. Anyone able to verify?

10. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually I may be using faulty logic. (If A then B. A, therefore B) It could just be a coincidence that the seat assignments became available at 330 days out but 330 historically has been of significance.