No "Rewards Plus" despite Marriott Platinum status

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by disambiguous1, Jun 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a window of opportunity for a trip to Europe in September. My wife is also able to get some time off, so we will both be able to go. We both have United Mileage Plus Visa cards, and since she is on a long-term project where she stays at Marriott hotels four days a week, I got her a Marriott Rewards card.

Between her actual stay nights this year (55) and bonus nights (30), she has achieved Platinum status with Marriott, which takes 75 nights. Her official total is 85 nights. However, when I went to sign her up for the United/Marriott Rewards Plus program, it says that she is not a "Platinum Elite" member, just a "Platinum" member, and so is not qualified to sign up. This puzzles me, as it doesn't look like Marriott has such a thing as a "Platinum" level without it being a "Platinum Elite".

Marriott "Platinum Elite" members get Silver status with United, and this would be a great boon when I book the tickets to Europe. Obviously, I want to get that status nailed down before I make the reservations, and I would like to book those ASAP, before all the seats are taken up.

The Marriott Platinum service phone number only works during business hours Mon-Fri, so I'm checking in here to see if anyone has any insights on this. Many thanks for all info, -DA1

uggboy, Kalboz and daninstl like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like she needs to call them and inquire. Not sure why this would be. I know my wife did a ton of nights last year in corporate billed apartment type housing with Marriott and only got partial credit but your situation sounds different. Most likely they won't talk to you on the phone. You could also try to email but it sounds like you need an answer.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mileage Plus Silver no longer get upgraded seats at booking, as I understand it, but must wait until day of departure. If that's the case, I would say book the tickets now, and if/when you get the problem with her Marriott Rewards status sorted out, her Mileage Plus status will apply in time for check-in.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    @OP, my guess is that the two computer systems between MR & MP are not properly transferring information between each other. I would recommend calling Mileage Plus and making an enquiry as to why MP Silver status is not being reflected in the account. Have the Marriott Platinum number available, so this can facilitate their verification.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is true that Silver Premier members only get Economy Plus seating options at check in. This definitely sounds like a computer glitch, so the advice to go ahead and book now is good. You will most likely get this resolved tomorrow, and even if you don't, you have 24 hours to cancel any ticket booked on united.com with no penalty. Assuming, of course, that you don't want to fly them unless you have a shot at E+, which would be quite reasonable given the other options to many European destinations.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the others above that United Premier Silver is not all that whoopy anymore, but back to your original question. My guess is that the two systems are not communicating with updated information, and that your wife's attainment of the 85 nights is relatively new (?) and hasn't worked its way through the United interface yet. I had a similar problem in reverse last year, when as Premier Gold I was trying to get Marriott Gold and the computers kept rejecting me saying I had attained Premier Gold on a status match challenge, which was an exception in the rules. That was true, but it was ALSO true that I had since MET the challenge and now was officially pure UA Gold. Trying to appeal that through both companies was frustrating to say the least. Marriott got tired of hearing from me and finally forced me in as Marriott Gold but it took a bunch of calls and they still stopped short of admitting there was a system error. Meantime, when things rolled over for 2014 they got it right, but it was slowwwwww.. .

7. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Book now and don't loose the tickets. You can work the other problems out. Marriott has Platinum, and Platinum Premier. PP you have to be invited in by Marriott.

8. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, it seems to be settled, but is a little strange. I logged on to her Mileage Plus account, and now it shows Premier Silver Member, and it also says Star Alliance Silver. My guess is that it's an overall Silver status that goes between all the *A airlines. It seems to have happened automatically over the past couple of days.

Wandering Aramean likes this.