No refunds of airline taxes after all

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by penumpang, Aug 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    From USA Today:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/08/irs-no-tax-refunds-for-fliers-after-all/414030/1

"The Internal Revenue Service said Friday that no fliers who flew during the past two weeks — when the Federal Aviation Administration was partially shut down — are eligible for ticket tax refunds.

The decision may come as a surprise to millions of airline passengers who were expecting a refund — up to 15% of the ticket price — after the FAA's partial shutdown on July 23."

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dont think the US is in any position to be offering refunds on any revenue....:(

3. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess its a good thing the airlines held out and didn't issue any refunds already. What I don't like in the IRS statement
    I hope that doesn't mean they are considering charging retroactively for taxes not paid during the shutdown. Wouldn't be fair to those that were charges extra in the base fare considering only two airlines didn't raise the rates

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  4. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just read it again and it says they will give a break to those that booked on or after 7/23 and not ask for back taxes

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=242812,00.html?portlet=6

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Blech in terms of getting a refund of the taxes but there is no way in hell that the IRS and/or the airlines can charge the taxes retroactively and let's say for sake of argument that they did-Unless the ticket was purchased with cash where the airlines & government are SOL, all one has to do is dispute the charge on their credit card as unauthorized. And if the airlines try doing that under the threat of "your reservation may be canceled", good luck tot hem as your were charged an advertised price for a product and you paid that price so imho, there ain't no way that one can go back and say, sorry, the price you paid was wrong.