No pre-check on return if outbound is touched by a GA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Aug 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    This is the second time this has happened to me now. Oddly it's at the same city.

I book SEA-ORD and ORD-SEA as one ticket. SEA-ORD overbooked so I volunteer and either get bumped or don't, makes no difference. When I check-in for the ORD-SEA leg I never get pre-check. This has happened twice to me now; today being the second.

Any idea why pre-check status goes away once a ticket is manually touched by a gate agent?

Interestingly enough...when I took the bump out of SEA on Monday my new BPs for the flights I was given still had pre-check on them. But the return doesn't.

I'm not sure if this is a TSA issue or a UA issue. I thought once a ticket had pre-check status that all flights on the ticket gave you pre-check. Maybe a wrong assumption?

Thanks,
    Rob

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have a Known Traveler Number or are you relying on elite status?

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    A good point! FWIW, I've entered my known traveler number on all the airline websites for the airlines I travel on. So far, all is working according to plan, and I'm able to get TSA Pre-check. :) Now, whether a particular airport offers TSA Pre-check (and some stop doing so at a certain time of day) is another story. :(

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pre-check seems to propagate automatically to other airlines if you enter your Known Traveler Number (KTN) with one airline. I found this out at IAD when I successfully pre-checked with an AA ticket and BP that had the Pre-Check mark when issued, although I have no status with AA and I had entered my KTN only once with UA.

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No KTN. I rely on elite status.

But again..it's always been my understanding that pre-check status applies to a ticket/itinerary, not an individual flight. Am I wrong? I get it on the outbound but not the return. And I've never not gotten it on the outbound so it's hard to determine if I would have gotten it on the return or not if I didn't have it on the outbound.

So while I appreciate being able to volunteer and have a GA protect me on later flights should they need my seat I really wish this wouldn't kill pre-check on the return.

-Rob

6. lawry

lawry Active Member

Status Points:
    I rely on elite status too. I have gotten precheck on a return after not having gotten it on the outbound, so I don't think it applies to an entire ticket/itinerary.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not the case per TSA folks. It is always possible to get lucky and get it anyways (and your one experience may be a result of that) though that is supposedly going away soon. And I have several experiences where no KTN = No Pre and when adding it in and reprinting the BP it came through.
    I believe this is incorrect. You are evaluated each time you check in as I understand it, not for the whole itinerary at once.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have for a while now been the lucky recipient of Pre-Check marks on virtually all my UA flights. Same for my wife (with one exception where I got it and she didn't). Neither of us has entered a KTN into the UA system (though we both do have Global Entry and the card for it). I just never saw the need to enter it since it seemed to work okay without it.

The few times we have flown other carriers we did not receive Pre-Check (no status on any other carrier). I guess I really need to spend a few minutes getting the numbers into the various airline systems.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could have been a fluke since this is just one data point, but the US/AA agent seemed to think it was standard behavior when I'd expressed surprise to be pre-checked without status in AA and my KTN stored in UA systems.

The way to know for sure would be for others to report their experiences...

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've had a GA touch my ticket and still had PreCheck on other flights in that itin.

FWIW, I've also had 100% of my flights this year on AA, UA and US qualify for PreCheck this year.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you have to enter your KTN with all 3 airlines or did you just enter it with one and it 'propagated' as I'd surmised?

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

12. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did had my round trip get Pre Check, even when I made a change to an earlier flight. Not that it matters since I either get wheelchair service or use the employee line. :D But I did get all excited as I have not been Pre Checked before.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I'm wondering if those who have had their tickets changed (outbound) and still got pre-check on the return had their tickets touched manually by a gate agent where flight order becomes out of whack or if they were computer changes like SDC? When I've done SDC on the outbound I still get pre-check on the return. It seems to be the manual process that kills it for me.

Thanks for the feedback, all. This is a good conversation IMO just to hear other experiences. Overall, just based on elite #, I get Pre-Check about 95% of the time (have only missed the two ORD-SEA when the ticket was manually touched and I go to ORD at least once a month).

-Rob