No Points for Booking Hotels Through Third Party Sites (priceline.com & hotwire.com)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by muhmuhmuhmark, Dec 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. muhmuhmuhmark

muhmuhmuhmark Active Member

Status Points:
    I do not stay at hotels very often, but when I do I seem to always go through priceline.com and their "name your price" feature because I get pretty awesome rates. To my understanding, when you book through a third party site (such as pricline.com), you do not get the points from the hotel chain for that stay. I make sure that I use my Chase Sapphire Preferred card to get the 2x points on travel purchases but is there any way to get the hotel program points for booking thru sires like priceline and hotwire? Or is there any better way to book hotel cheaply and earn points for their programs. I only stay in hotels maybe once every 3 months (usually a 1-2 night stay). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

miles and smiles likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a trade-off. You can either get those opaque bookings (ie, name your own price or other things like that) to get the super-cheap rates, but no points; or you can book a higher, transparent, points-earning rate. You can't have it both ways, ime.
    In order to get cheaper rates, people are always looking out for sales; using promo codes (e.g., for conventions); or negotiate lower rates directly with the hotel.

3. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points programs are "loyalty" programs that are designed to make you loyal to a particular brand and give them more business and perhaps pay higher rates to stay there.

"Opaque" booking sites like Priceline and Hotwire are ones where you don't know the brand before you book, and they negotiate away all the extra perks like points, upgrades, free breakfast, etc. Often bookings through Expedia and Hotels.com also don't earn Hotel program points but they have their own program. It has been reported that if you have elite status, sometimes you will receive the elite benefits on stays booked this way, but you won't earn points and the stay won't count toward elite status.

To get the full value of the loyalty programs you need to book the hotel directly, either through its website, the phone or a travel agent, with no intermediate merchant. It's an either-or proposal. Either pay more, know which hotel you are booking, and get the loyalty program, or pay less and get less.

misterbwong and miles and smiles like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also don't stay at hotels too often, but I have managed to get quite a few free nights.
    If you think there is a chain or two that will meet your needs, you can get that chain's credit card and garner enough points to stay for free.
    Another approach is to pay attention to when hotel chain's have great promos. For example, Radisson's current 50,000 point promo provides enough points from just one stay to allow multiple other stays for free.

5. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to use Priceline fairly regularly and sometimes hotels will give you points even if you booked through an "opaque" site. I've been able to get points through a priceline reservation (within the past year) at starwood and omni hotels. I've also been denied at both starwood and omni, and never been successful at hilton or marriott. I do ask every time though.

Agree on the promos. You can rack up a fare number of points using promos or participating with partner programs.

- Tony

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint, strangevine.

7. strangevine

strangevine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

8. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I generally look for a 10 to 20 percent savings on Priceline (minimum) for the risk factor an about another 10 percent or so for lost loyalty points. If I'm not saving 20 to 30 percent overall, I generally don't use Priceline. I run a Priceline oriented website and preach the same advice to others who ask (and it comes up a lot). Do it only if the savings are worth it.

javacodeguy likes this.
  9. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification on this. I recently booked a hotel through hotels.com (4 extra pts/$ in the UR mall) and was wondering if they'd recognize status. We'll see!

10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I have not had it happen with PC hotels, but did have an issue with (just one) Marriott, although they added the points after I sent them an email. Other Marriott points posted just fine.