No one-way award travel

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by SnowDogDad, Jun 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has probably been discussed, but I needed to vent a bit....

I went to book a round-trip HNL <->CDG yesterday using miles. 360K miles for a round trip in first. The
    return flight was a bit more inconvenient, so I checked United. United had a better return trip (shorter layovers and got me home the same day). And, United has one-way award tickets.

So, I checked the one-way HNL->CDG and it was also 360K. I thought that had to be a mistake, so I called Delta, sat on hold for 90 minutes, and the agent told me that round trip and one-way was the same number of miles.

Holy cow!

redtailshark likes this.
  2. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using partners is probably a better bet. DL.dumb is bad about including them. First try HNL-US to anywhere AS flies, and then try to figure out a way across the pond from there.

3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

Did you know, that DL SM is
    [​IMG]best in class[​IMG]?

How can I know this? Well, Jeff himself told us so back in 2008.
    How can you know this? From the above.

DiverDave likes this.
  4. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Few things. DL will not let you book first class internationally, even on partners that have it. Secondly, the online search is broken, also for many airlines HNL is a hard market to find availability. My guess is that with most other airlines, of a simple search of the same kind you'd get no availability, at least Delta provides some availability, even at a higher level.
    As others have stated, look for availability to an AS gateway city, SEA is good. Then look for SEA to LHR or AMS and then look for the last segment. That should potentially give you a chance at getting low availability, and just remember, you'll end up blowing the full miles for roundtrip even if you do one way.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  6. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Untrue. There are many international flights that allow first class award flights. US-Canada, US-Mexico, US-Central America, and many Carribean countries. These are all international First Class routes.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think the point is that Delta does not permit redemption for international-style a.k.a. three-cabin first class.

8. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's not what he said. Perhaps what he meant, certainly.

9. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary understood what I said. As everyone who regularly redeems knows, the only true international first class is a three cabin plane, which Delta doesn't allow. I shouldn't have assumed that was a given on this forum.

10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are any such routes marketed as F? Despite offering the same hard/soft product as domestic F, all routes I can think of (except maybe Canadia) are marketed as business.