No Newbie with Newbie Question: How to Prevent Auto Transfer of Starpoints to UA Miles

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by NYCUA1K, Oct 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    At some point in the past, I must have elected that all SPG Starpoints that I earn be transferred as equivalent miles to my UA account. As shown below, this has happened automatically. I would earn Starpoints and they would immediately be deducted from my SPG account and transferred out as an equivalent number of UA miles:

SPG-ACTIVITY.jpg

Well, now I would like to turn off this behavior because I just earned perpetual SPG Gold elite status through AMEX Plat and am interested to begin accumulating Starpoints in this account. The trouble is that I cannot figure out how to turn it off.:confused: I have searched the SPG FAQ as well as MP in vain.I am sure it is very simple and I am just overlooking it but I am tired of searching. Help!:p

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Did you try calling? I know the agents have the power. A quick perusal of the SPG site didn't find the info you were looking for.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called SPG CS desk and my newbie question wasn't really so newbie after all. First, the CSR said that in order to unset the so-called Direct Deposit (D.D) of Starpoints to another account, one has to call them. Only they can do it. Period. Then I asked how the D.D. got set up in the first place, since I did not recall doing it and it is not settable through one's SPG profile. The CSR's guess was that it must have been one of the options in the AMEX promo that got me the SPG membership in the first place. Once D.D. was set, it just stayed set...until moment's ago when she unset it, and I am free at last...:)

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, as soon as you mentioned this, I remembered. If you have a promo that converts to miles it sets your count that way for all future transactions. Sorry for not recalling it.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understandable since it is not very common. Now we know...;)