No Newbie with a Newbie Question: Are Citi ThankYou Points Good for Anything?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by NYCUA1K, Mar 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been accumulating Citi ThankYou (TY) points (not a huge number) for a few years now. However, other than for unattractive offers to purchase consumer merchandise/products that I see advertised in my account, I am not sure what else these points are good for...practically. Can I convert/transfer TY points to hotel (HHonors, Hyatt) points or airline (UA) miles? Information on transfers is inconsistent, with HHonors' site, e.g., saying that TY points can be converted to HH points, and the Citi site indicating that TY points can only be transferred to another TY account, after which they must be used within 90 days. What's up with that?

MX likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I read that TY = HH ... 1.5 to 1 or something to that effect.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what the HH site says but the other way around: 1.5HH = 1 TY. However, the Citi site says nothing at all about transfers to programs other than to another TY account. I thought someone out there has had experience doing transfers from Citi to another program. Short of that, the only remaining option would be to call the Citi TY support line to find out if it is even possible...

4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently it's a very new development. It's now at the bottom of the TY Home page www.thankyou.com, under "More Ways To Use Points". So far it seems to be the only non-cash conversion option between TY and another point program.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do see "More Ways to Earn Points" and "Transfer Points" (allows transfer only to another TY account), but I do not seem to find a link to "More Ways To Use Points" other than to shop with points...

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll try my steps again, and send you the sequence by pvt. message.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to the link sent privately by M7VO, mystery solved! When I clicked the link, it asked me to sign into my Citi or Citi TY account so I did, and then a message window popped up with this:
    Both cards have an annual fee ($125 and $400, respectively), whereas mine, Citi Forward, has no AF and I have a ridiculous APR of 10.99% (it is my first ever CC obtained in 1986 that has evolved over the years). The Citi Forward card apparently can only earn TYs and use them but cannot exchange them for points or miles. This partially explains my perceived limitation of the TY points. Also, the program is somewhat like AMEX MR, where only certain cards qualify for points, except that here, only certain cards can earn points and participate in exchange. Is it worth "upgrading" my Citi Forward to one of the fee cards? Probably not...

Thanks, M7VO!

MX and edekba like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or do like so many others and wait for a first year waived with a 50k sign up bonus. I personally think using it for domestic travel was fine. I believe you receive 1.33c per point when booking on their site. They also had one of the lowest costs for a rental car. My sister found a deal that was a bit over a hundred dollars cheaper for a weeklong rental (minivan) than any other site. Dariaus at MMS and The guys at Milevalue had similar finds.

MX, NYCUA1K and weevinweaver like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am emotionally tied to this, my first ever CC, although I do not use it much in spite of the fact that the credit line, which was just $500 when I first got the card, has been increased to more than 20X over the years. However, you make a compelling case for an upgrade. I may request that they still inscribe on the new card, member since 1986, as on my current Citi Forward visa, which has been called various things including "Citi Driver's Edge" over the year. I think that the sign up bonus is currently 25K TY points, which is not that attractive to me; 50K would make me think hard.

Thanks for the tip!

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the same thoughts on all my oldest cards. In fact, my first Citicard was 1992. Still have it and it is completely irrational and totally emotional. :p

Following upon your statement earlier, I think TYP could definitely be like a MR program than just in the levels of access dictated by the card one holds. They just need to beef up the partners and probably increase customer service. :rolleyes:

NYCUA1K likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree. On your last point, it may be why TY Rewards is not rated as highly as MR. Citi needs to "diversify" the redemption options a bit more. This rating comparison is from AwardWallet (see circled item):

MR vsTY Ratings.png

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  12. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I currently have the TY Premier card (it's no annual fee for the first year). I believe this card also allows improved cash-like redemption rates, but I wasn't aware of the HH option until now. Lately, I've been mostly cashing out my TY points as gift cards or "mortgage payments".

Lastly, the Premier card gives you "flight points" -- it's a rather complicated scheme to earn TY points based on the number of miles traveled, even on award flights. There are several threads devoted to that subject alone.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  13. dtc

dtc Active Member

Status Points:
    MX and NYCUA1K like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This type of "complicated scheme" might be responsible for the 3-star rating of Citi TYR compared to the 5-star rating of AMEX MR. Keep it simple!
    Redemption of TY points is something that was already available to me. In fact, on the redemption side, I think that I have almost everything that the fee-cards have. What I am not able to do with my TY points from the Citi Forward visa is to exchange them for points/miles of other (non-Citi) loyalty programs

MX likes this.
  15. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:

I for one wouldn't want the 'complicated scheme' to be simplified. If done right the TY Premier card is 2.66-3.1% on everything card. Simplifying may dilute the benefits.

NYCUA1K and MX like this.
  16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently got a Citi TY Preferred Card and in the card legalese, it mentioned transfers to Hilton. I don't know how to transfer them, as I plan to use the points for domestic tickets.

MX and NYCUA1K like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep it simple is fine if Citi does not care that TYR is rated as a 3-star program, while a very similar program, AMEX MR, is 5-star-rated...

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

18. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good to know, since TY Preferred is a no annual fee product. Does anyone know if it also has the "flight points" feature?

ThereseKhu and NYCUA1K like this.
  19. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Darn, If I knew about the HHonors transfer, I would've used that. Instead, I spent over 10,000 TYP at Amazon's Shop With Points. All good though, not like it was a waste.

Also, I see a TYP transfer (1:1) to AA after the merger, anyone think so as well?

ThereseKhu and MX like this.
  20. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    if citi is the remaining bank ;)

SuperKirby likes this.