No More Upgrades for HH Gold at Hilton Singapore?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by RCTP, Feb 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've booked myself into Hilton Singapore (King Deluxe Plus) 17-18Feb for a night about a month ago and I remember seeing the message that I can "upgrade to an Executive room from as low as $0" with the box checked.

Out of itchy fingers, went to check my reservation again and saw the box unchecked and that I now need to pay $60 to upgrade to Executive room.

Previous experiences at Hilton Singapore and Conrad Centennial Singapore for the past 2 years shows free one-category upgrade from the booked room.

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I suggest wait till check-in and then enquire about the upgrade if not offered.
    Could be due to high occupancy.
    It is after all close to CNY and people might be flying back to visit relatives and such pushing up demand for rooms.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is absolutely as @WilliamQ just surmised. The dates for the 2015 "Spring Festival" (aka Chinese New Year holiday) are Feb 18-24 with the New Year itself falling on Feb 19. Therefore, the effect of high occupancy is very likely what you are seeing. I agree that you should wait until you check in to inquire about a complimentary upgrade, which you should get if it is available since there is no place else to go from a King Deluxe Plus for a HH Gold. Who knows, you might even luck out and be upgraded to a suite since suites might be too expensive to book when demand is high and you would be there for only one night. They might want to move you to a suite in order to let someone else book your more affordable room. In fact, if I were you that is exactly what I would suggest...;)

Thomask and uggboy like this.
  4. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah. I'm aware of the spring festival. I'm staying Hilton's as my apartment is undergoing last minute renovations.

If I do get upgraded to a suites, that would be wow. I'll probably have enough space to train for a full marathon. Lol.

My only suites upgrade experience with Hilton Singapore was an upgrade to their presidential suites. More space than I'll ever need.

uggboy likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    How did that happened? You were a Gold and booked into...?

uggboy likes this.
  6. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    HH gold booked an executive room

markcwj, WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be quite a jump since presidential suites are the very top! Maybe you mean you had booked an executive suite?
    I was upgraded twice in as many stays at this property to an executive suite from a standard room (one upgrade was on an award stay just a couple of months ago)...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  8. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope. No typo. Booked an executive room as the occasion required me to have a guaranteed lounge access.

Imagine my more than pleasant surprise when I was told I'm being upgraded to presidential suite.

WilliamQ and alfagirl like this.
  9. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received a confirmation email last night from Hilton Singapore confirming my reservation.

And still the same message of upgrading with an additional cost of $60.

And right at the bottom of the email, "Gold My Way on property benefits" only show complimentary internet access. No breakfast.

Digging up past emails, I see "Complimentary internet access|Continental breakfast"

Edit: not that I need the upgrades and breakfast, but just amused to see all these happening.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. I have to ask.. did you select 1,000 points or breakfast for your hotel benefits.

upload_2015-2-11_13-25-54.png

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience is actually quite the opposite for Conrad as a Gold.
    I have an upcoming reservation for Valentine's day
    I booked it as a CLASSIC ROOM.
    My HHonors account shows the room reserved as BUSINESS ROOM.
    My e-Upgrade shows EXECUTIVE ROOM offered at $0 if available at check-in.
    upload_2015-2-11_13-32-13.png upload_2015-2-11_13-33-54.png

upload_2015-2-11_13-34-8.png

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    A remote but likely possibility could be the following. Since HH Golds can have breakfast in the exec lounge only if they are upgraded to a room on the exec floor, otherwise they must have their breakfast in the hotel restaurant, what would happen if the hotel restaurant is closed? As it turns out, the restaurant where breakfast was usually served at Hilton Singapore, Checkers Brasserie, was closed and being remodeled when I was there just before Christmas last year (it would reopen as a classier restaurant called Vista). Because the remodeling and closed restaurant made the lobby look quite different from how I remembered it, I even took a picture for future reference:

SIN-Checkers-Brasserie-Closed.jpg

With the one place where Golds who were not upgraded to the exec floor would have had their breakfast closed, it is possible that the hotel decided that Golds who are not upgraded -- and it seems that you might not be unless you pay at least $60 -- would simply not have the breakfast perk. However, as I said above, that possibility may be remote because it would be unfair to penalize Golds for something -- the closing of the restaurant for remodeling -- that they have little control over. A good and fair or common sense solution, while the restaurant was closed for remodeling, would be to allow Golds to have breakfast in the exec lounge, called Panorama and looks like this:

HILTON SIN E-LOUNGE PANO.jpg

The reason this common sense solution might not work is that the exec lounge may temporarily be the only place where Diamonds and other guests who booked a package that includes breakfast would be able to have it, and while the lounge is very spacious, it might not be large enough to accommodate everyone comfortably, so they decided to scrap free breakfast for Golds.:(

I am now very interested to know how things would turn out for you.
    Whether or not you need these perks is really largely irrelevant. At stake here is program consistency and integrity and elite recognition, which are elements that still make Asian hotels the best part of HHonors. I do not see it happening since this is only one case and the upcoming "Spring Festival" may be responsible for what is happening, but losing programmatic consistency and integrity and elite recognition in Asia would be disastrous!

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  13. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well well well

We might bump into each other yet

I've got a reservation at CCS this coming Vday too. Except I've booked a Business Room and my HH profile is now showing Executive Room in my reservation. Doubt I'll get a double upgrade. Have yet to receive a 2 category upgrade at CCS yet.

markcwj likes this.
  14. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:

Well I'm curious to see how things are going to turn out for me. I believe even if there are no restaurants at all, it shouldn't be too much to ask for maybe a room service continental breakfast?

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. So it appears they default confirmed us into 1 level above the booked room type. Is your eUpgrade offering $0 Executive Premier? Naturally they will also say subjected to availability during check-in.

16. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nah. My upgrade page is showing executive room as $0 and executive premier as $90. This being a special date for me and my SO, I chose the $90 executive premier and just checked that I've been allocated that room type.

Oh and BTW, Conrad sent me an email confirmation for my upcoming stay too. There is the "Complimentary internet access | Complimentary breakfast" at the bottom of the email.

So now I'm looking forward to my Hilton stay and see just what's going on.

17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, keep us informed...
    I hope you will get your Executive Premier room too even though you have to shell out an additional $90.00++
    If the date's special, a "suite" certainly helps make it more special and "loved" :)

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder whether this has anything to do with the rumor that HH Golds may no longer get access to the exec lounge even if they get upgraded to the exec floor. To get access to the exec lounge they may have to book or pay for upgrade to a room on the exec floor.

Here's hoping that is and remains just a rumor...

19. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope so too. But it doesn't tally with Conrad Centennial Singapore. My stay for the vday weekend was given a complimentary upgrade to an Executive Premier Suite from a Business Room, which is a 2 category upgrade.

WilliamQ and NYCUA1K like this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice.! You managed to save $90 bucks and can use that towards a good dinner!! :)

21. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah! Gonna have a nice and quiet room service dinner with the missus!

22. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alright I jumped the gun with my assumptions made from those email and from the info reflected in the HH app.

Now the HH app is showing an Executive Room, which I'll also assume to include breakfast.

23. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are still a valued guest of the HHonors Club :)

24. ottovonskidmark

ottovonskidmark New Member

Status Points:
    Silly question, perhaps, how do I get to the e-upgrade screen? (And how do I not know about it already???? #$&^#(@#^%^)

25. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    It'll usually be in your confirmation email. If not, just log in to your HH account and click on your reservation(s). should be able to see up from there.

ACMM likes this.