no more tmobile login in RCC?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bta, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just sat down in the ORD C16 RCC, and noticed I connected to Tmobile wifi, but didn't have to type in my MP number. I tried it on both my laptop and my iphone.

If this is a 'Continentalizing' step, maybe Jeff was right about something. To paraphrase him, finally a change that he correctly thought I would like.

Is this a fluke, or is this showing up elsewhere too?

2. If this is the case, it will be a welcome one.
    Its possible for an AP to use your MAC to forgo login.
    I have used airport WiFi that didn't make me login again within a week.

I'll pay more attention using Wifi in airports to see where else it may work.
    How long ago had you last logged in ?

Thanks for the post

3. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully there will be one or two more changes we like [​IMG]

4. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:

I was last in an RCC on Saturday. Normally I have to re-login if my computer goes idle for a few minutes, so I'm doubtful it would go a few days.

I'm optimistic this is a change, although even with Delta clubs opening up their wifi, there is still a login screen. Plus, as I was walking out they were handing out tmobile cards. So maybe it's just a fluke.

5. I know that there are some restriction to avoid WiFi being used for nifarious purposes.
    Some of this can be just logging and MAC address access records. (I don't know fully)
    It can be as simple as an access code is changed periodically for access too.

In your case though, you were authenticated once in a manner they know you are valid for a year.(presumption)
    So its still possible you are good even coming back weeks later. Will be interesting how it works out for you.

6. milepig
    Original Member

milepig Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you pay for a T-Mobile hotspot? When I'm in the RCC my WiFi will often grab another access point initially, and I need to go into my network selection to choose the RCC feed. Then I get the prompt to input my MP number.

7. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    This would be great news. We've been in RCCs in IAD, DEN, and SEA over the past two days and log-in was required. Since we have two devices and didn't renew my spouse membership because of the increased cost, it would be handy not to have to log in to use my iPod. I've been building up a stash of T-Mobile cards from our international flights. [​IMG]

FriendlySkies and Fredd like this.
  8. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everyone gets free Internet in the RCC now. You should be able to secure a card for your guest.

Mrs. Fredd likes this.
  9. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That's good news. As recently as Dec 31 a RCC employee demanded to see my intl BP, and of course the old card reads "international F, C, and one-time pass customers." It looks like I can stop hoarding cards now. [​IMG]

10. bta
    Original Member

bta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in with a guest a few weeks ago and was told no....likely uninformed agents, sadly

11. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had a problem securing a card for my guest at any of the RCCs I've been to. I wasn't even aware that they had restrictions on this. I guess it goes to prove that if you wander around cluelessly and ask for things, people will just feel bad for you and let you slide. Unfortunately now I know, which means I'm going to have to spend hours in front of the mirror re-perfecting my look ;).

12. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have about 5 unused ones, no value but I can't seem to want to throw them away. :)

Looking forward to no scratch cards in the RCCs.

13. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Free Internet access was limited to C/F int'l and RCC members until the semi-recent RCC changes. With the changes, anyone in the RCC can get free Internet (non-members needed a card with an access code). If no one needs a code anymore...that would be a shame...since anyone close to the club will be able to connect and will slow down the Internet for the rest of us.

14. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the T-Mobile doesn't work, a frequent occurrence for me, call 1-877-822-7768 and tell them you are in XXX United Red Carpet Club and can't connect. They will fix it.

If I'm in a hurry I just tether my phone but if I have time to burn and feel like getting my full RCC benefits I call.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  15. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    UA int'l F lounge on Monday I needed to log in.

16. qasr
    Original Member

qasr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shocking... SHOCKING, I tell you!

bta likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Login was required at the JFK RCC yesterday. And the agent made me ask for a card instead of offering me one.

18. Sounds like theft of service to me. :td:

19. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! I've been entitled to the now-unneeded cards when flying internationally and I've chosen to use them on subsequent visits, in the same way that many saved the RCC international-flight drink chits for use at a later time. I didn't see any rule stating they had to be used during the visit for which they were issued.

JLSocks likes this.
  20. You think they give it for you for use on a different day?

21. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame how the CO influence has deteriorated service to this level.

How was the bar -- did they make you ask for a drink there, too, or was the ice cold Bud waiting for you once you got there? ;)

22. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sometimes snag the breadsticks off my F tray on the plane. I suppose they intend for me to eat them at that time, so removing them is thievery as well, right?

LarryU, JLSocks and Mrs. Fredd like this.
  23. Yes.

24. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for clarifying. How does one go about turning themselves in or making amends to UNITED?

Fredd likes this.
  25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Miller light in the JFK RCC. :p

And the policy is to offer them to PClub members. I don't know why they chose to not follow that but they didn't. Just a point of reference to consider.