No more pillows in first.

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Punki, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am flying in first AS today and tomorrow. They will be short flights SEA/BUR/SEA but still I really miss having pillows and blankets in first class.

I know people complain of germs, but on UA we always have freshly wrapped, clean pillows and blankets on domestic flights. Why not AS?

In general, I like AS as a domestic airline, but the lack of pillows really annoys me.

seaflyguy and dgreen12 like this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are still afraid of SARS, Bird Flu, and H1N1. Germs, germs, germs. Icky germs. It is actually about bean counting, not germs. Why they won't just say that, I do not know. AS actually used to have stashes of fresh pillowcases on their planes to change them. I miss the pillows, too, because they were my back support for their "generously-cushioned" F seats.

Golfingboy, Eastbay1K and ItsADryCold like this.
  3. ItsADryCold
    Original Member

ItsADryCold Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over the past couple of years, AS has done much to remind everyone that they are, after all, just another LCC. The cutbacks on Gold benefits and AS' way above-market fares mean I may well requalify Gold without having stepped aboard one of their planes. Through 2008 I was a 'solid Gold': now, with 30K on DL this year, I'm vaguely thinking of jumping ship.

jackal likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The pillows are really important for back support, (even) their F seats are really uncomfortable for transcons and Hawaii flights.

MarkUK likes this.
  5. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bring a pashmina as a blanket, but I do miss the pillows for lumbar support. Punki, you would look awesome walking through the airport carrying a old pillow for the flight. I think I saw two on my flight to DFW today, thankfully, no pjs on adults.

6. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA still provides pillows for transcons and all F seats have blankets. For this I am grateful.

7. AKGUY
    Original Member

AKGUY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Total lack of any lumbar support.

8. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, Punki, a sign of the times, I'm afraid.. unimaginable, just a few years ago.
    Fortunately, I never got used to them..so I don't miss 'em..
    Guess you could bring one in carry on? :D
    Hope you can adjust & be confortable,in any case :)

9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS gives you a prayer card in F to pray for comfort.

Golfingboy, Eastbay1K, Lalala and 2 others like this.
  10. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stole my son's sweater and rolled it up and used it as a pillow.

At least our FA was honest enough to say that it was a budgetary issue and didn't try to play the SARS card.

We did, BTW, have the world's best FA on our return. He some how, magically, came up with a humus/veggie plate for me when I told him I didn't eat meat, gave my son a free bag of Beef Jerky when he told him that he did, and offered to refill our drinks at least 6 times. We had the good sense to accept only three of those offers. :D :D:

The FA also confided that he has at least one person freak out over the prayer cards every day, usually people exclaiming that the cards (which are always Psalms) are offensive to Jews and Muslims. ;) How do that many truly ignorant people find their way into first class?

All in all it was a great trip, even without pillows and blankets, but I really do miss them.

11. UCC

UCC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like HCC :D

12. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, their costs are low. The high fares make them an HPC.

Highly Profitable Carrier

:cool:

jackal likes this.
  13. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to be working for them, for whatever reason...

14. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    If AS keeps their employees happy then my flight experiences will be good. Have you noticed how bad a flight can seem when the crews are not happy to be doing their jobs? Same thing with the call centers, you can tell when the phone agents are being pressured to handle x amount of calls an hour by how they deal with changes to flight plans etc. Also, look at the gate agents, overall when it is an AS employee they seem (to me) somehow more cordial, less stressed out, and they do not assume I am going to start complaining right away. So, for me, the lack of a pillow or blanket that I can easily provide myself (and btw, use in the hotel room!!!) is offset by how the employees seem to be treated. Of course... I could be utterly in error with my assumptions :)

15. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...as long as I get my burger... ;)

jackal likes this.
  16. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL,
    I actually talked to Rick about getting the BOB in FC instead of the FC meal/snack at the Gold lunch in Seattle and several others asked as well, but he told us (sigh) no, the BOB is supposed to be self supporting and evidently all of us 75ks or FCs would definitely bring that down by requesting the burgers instead of the mushroom sandwiches

17. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    He said more or less the same thing to me when I brought it up at the lunch in ANC. :(

(I would assume the burgers are cheaper than the fancy mushroom sandwiches, etc., but I am probably assuming wrongly...)

18. beckoa
    Original Member

beckoa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shrooms should be banned in F.

Never did hear back from Chef Cliff when I emailed my disappointment about them a few months back. :(

19. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES YES YES YES, absolutely! of course!!
    (can you tell I do not like mushrooms?)

20. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone heard anything back from Customer Care or any other department at AS in the last, oh, six month? :rolleyes:

21. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I did... Sent in an email about a broken headrest on a transcon flight in F during the second week of Feb, and finally heard back a few days ago... Too long...

I had issues with UA [flight went mx delaying me over 4 hours] and US [downgrade from paid F fare], and they responded in a few days...

22. jackal
    Original Member

jackal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I haven't heard back about any of my letters or emails--positive or negative--that I've sent since August. :rolleyes:

23. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nonetheless, the response lead time is atrocious... Seems like the average lead time for AS right now is 6-8 weeks. I never imagined that the DMV license renewal lead time would beat a customer centric company's response lead time :rolleyes:

This is one area AS definitely need to reassess and create strategies on how to improve the process to decrease the response lead time...

I'll set a challenging, but not impossible goal for AS... Reduce the lead time by 85% :)

One strategy that is not acceptable ---- Outsourcing...