No more N. American Gateway stopovers?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Note to Mods: I evidently misunderstood the rules, please remove thread or edit title to "AA.com aligns with stopover rules"

Update: Per the rules stopovers are only permitted to/from N. America inclusive of the Carribean and Mexico (but not Central Americia), so the rules haven't changed, just AA.com aligning with the rules.

==========
    This could be a glitch in AA.com, but it's no longer showing free stopovers at N. American gateways on international fares.

MCO-MIA; MIA-AUA used to show first leg as "-" & second leg at 17.5k

Now MCO-MIA; MIA-AUA shows 12.5k & 17.5k (unless off peak, then 12.5k & 12.5k)

Is this a bug? Did I miss an announcement? Did AA miss announcing this enhancement?

2. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems the free stopover is just disappearing on Caribbean destinations. Flights to S. America (LIM), Europe (MAD) & Asia (DEL) still show the free stopover, while the Caribbean (AUA) prices it as TWO one-ways.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were NA stopovers to the Caribbean allowed previously? It seems to me that since by all intents and purposes AA considers the Caribbean/CA as NA destinations then stopovers would not have been permitted.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never tried to/from Canada, but AA.com allowed International flights between the US and all the Americas to the south (Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America) a free stopover.

Now AA.com is not allowing free stopovers on international flights between the US and the Caribbean or Mexico

I guess I missed the memo & it seems we just lost an unpublished benefit :(

From different pages on AA.com:
    §§ North America is defined as the U.S. (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, The Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

FAQ's
    Q: Do one-way awards include any stopovers?
    A: Awards between North America and Europe, India, Asia, and Central / South America allow a stopover at the North American gateway. However, other one-way awards do not allow stopovers.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My memory doesn't seem to jive with this. I didn't think stopovers were allowed unless it was considered "international" by AA standards, as newbluesea suggests.

Additionally, the Flyerguide.com post that outlines the rules that govern AA award travel states the same; stopovers on the way to Mexico and the Caribbean are not allowed: LINK.