No More lost Luggage... World's first "Battery Free Permanent Luggage Tag"

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Oct 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ery-free-permanent-luggage-tag-229538951.html

26 million bags go missing every year. Richard Warther, Vanguard ID Systems' President and Founder, has the solution. Vanguard is announcing the new E-Ink based ViewTag® with a display that changes via the traveler's phone. Vanguard ID Systems has been working with IATA (International Air Transport Association) members to solve the problem. Vanguard will demonstrate the changeable permanent tag at the 2013 IATA World Passenger Symposium in Dublin, Ireland. The tag acts like a digital license plate that allows the customer to control the process of checking their bag at home, using their cell phone through the tags QR Code or the NFC embedded module in the tag. The customer receives a text message telling them where their bags are located throughout their journey.

ViewTag® is a solution that took ten years to develop. "We had to wait for the technology to catch up," said Warther. "Everyone I show it to loves the idea. Both traveler, and Airline want a better solution, and this solves the problem. It's a real breakthrough!"

Read More: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ery-free-permanent-luggage-tag-229538951.html

vickers, uggboy and mht_flyer like this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just be like most people and continue to try to stuff your oversized carry on bag into the overhead compartment. :)

3. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Tumi and Hartmann luggage have ID numbers permanently affixed to their bags/cases that enable you to register your luggage with the company. Of course, retrieving a lost bag then entails someone calling them with the number in the first place. This seems like a much better alternative. I'll look forward to hearing more about it.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now all we have to do is find a solution to the problem of lost bag tags . . . :D

I've noticed recently that even a sturdy tag with leather or even cable attachment to the bag has a good chance of not arriving with the bag. I don't know if that's just the vagary of statistics (i.e., I'm personally just experiencing a "tail" in the bell curve) or if the baggage mangling -- er, handling machinery is getting worse. Still and all, even the best bag tag is of little use if it gets separated from the bag.

Newscience likes this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is one reason that Tumi and Hartmann bags with internal ID can be useful.

Here's what I do with all my checked luggage, to help ensure that it arrives at my destination:
    - put a couple of 3x5 index cards with my identifying information inside the various pockets of the checked bag/suitcase
    - add a business card to the inside of the checked bag/suitcase
    - use at least 2 external luggage tags on each checked bag/suitcase
    -secure all external luggage tags (leather/plastic - not the paper ones provided by the airline) with an extra strap - a small zip tie, that is then trimmed with nail clippers.

I've never lost an external luggage strap that was secured with a zip tie. You have to cut them to remove them. Also, stick a couple of extra zip ties and small nail clippers in your checked bag. You never know when they can come in handy!

Counsellor and sobore like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good tip! Thanks.

(Nice fuzzy Dackel, too!)

Newscience likes this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Counselor,

Glad you enjoyed the tip about zip ties - they do work to help keep those luggage tags from getting lost. It seems that the baggage handler "gorillas" can't pull 'em off, as hard as they might try to do so! :D

And, yep, that's a pic of Daisy, our long-haired dachshund. :)

Newscience

Counsellor likes this.