No More Hyatt Diamond Challenges

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Terry Yap, Nov 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's very last minute, and very light on the details, but I guess we'll wait and see if it's true.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The way things have been going, I would say that the writing was already on the wall...

GP is too small a program to accommodate a large pool of elites or an influx of Diamonds, or to be too generous with perks. Due to their small "footprint" a large pool of elites redeeming points for free stays or upgrades would make a significant dent on the company's bottom line, hence the two-level elite program and the limited elite perks. For example, while a $40K spend on the Chase Hyatt visa gets one only 20% of the points (nights or stays) needed to make Diamond, the same spend outright earns one HHonors Diamond status on the HH AMEX Surpass or the HH Citi Reserve visa (not to mention that each card also automatically awards HH Gold status)...The number of GP Diamonds must be kept manageably small.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    Sammich likes this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, from a quick scan of the blogs today, the only source for this is the blog site i referenced, it may be that the current version of the Diamond Challenge expired on 31 Oct and Hyatt has yet to announce a new one or modified one...

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    HGP Concierge just posted this confirmation from another thread..

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is more or less the same language they have historically used every 6 months or so, for whatever it's worth.

viguera likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah they usually roll the challenges back to back like they did this year. Hopefully it's not a break now to reorganize the challenge and change the terms, but if they did we all knew it was just a matter of time.

8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every year the Hyatt Diamond challenge offer with a designated code expires and a new one spring up with its own unique code.

So, I wouldn't worry much about this misinformed blog entry!

danielwood, MX and viguera like this.
  9. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the overall message is still a pretty god one, missinformed or not: hold on to your DIA status

viguera likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well obviously, but it highlights one of the issues that I think we'll see in the future... Hyatt offers a ridiculously generous challenge, where you get status up front, plus the upgrade certs, and they don't seem to be terribly picky about how they choose who to extend this offer to. If people continue to rely on the challenge as a way to obtain status, and never actually work to retain it, then it doesn't really net them any high value members in the long run, and that might be something that the bean counters notice.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another independent confirmation?

12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Link is dead or taken down?

upload_2014-11-4_6-40-22.png

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works for me.

14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still works for me:
    upload_2014-11-3_17-46-33.png

15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can search for the post from the blog and it pulls it up but if you click on the links, they all cannot resolve even from the blog's home page http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea.com/

Edit: Does it still work after you clear the cache?

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never clicked on the link before and it loaded, so it wasn't cached.

I'm using Chrome 40. You appear to be using something else?

17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly - these confirmations mean not very much. The challenges have always existed in a 6 month window, and I believe have expired for a few days in the past. They may or may not start up a program that may be similar or different from the past. I'd prefer something a bit less gamable.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It works for me and I had never visited that blog before.

Breaking news, though? Seriously?

viguera likes this.
  19. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange... I use Chrome too.. and Google says it's up to date.
    One possibility could be location restrictions but like I said, I can access the article if I search Hyatt within the blog.
    Just cannot resolve when clicking through the links.
    Weird.

upload_2014-11-4_7-5-37.png

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah that's pretty crazy.

As per the Chrome version I'm way out there with the canary... living on the edge. :)

chrome.png

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like the too-good-to-be-true-and-now-defunct rule of paying for suite upgrades per stay rather than per night, the now all but defunct GP Diamond Challenge was purposely designed to lure into the young GP program new top frequent-guest members from other programs. The whole structure of the Challenge, like that of the per-stay upgrades, was too generous and ridiculous from a business point of view to last. So, ironically but expectedly, both have now been pulled because they proved to be too popular and successful. Hyatt no longer needs to attract top elites because their ranks are now filled to a capacity that their small "footprint" can just withstand.

Bottom line: like the old GP suite upgrade policy, the GP Diamond Challenge policy that just ended is history. Rather, it will be reintroduced, but according to industry standard. Gone will be the 4 DSU before qualification, which made no business sense at all and was shamelessly abused. The plug had to be pulled and it now has been...

afakhori likes this.
  22. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope they will allow the ability for a diamond challenge later on. I was planning on doing that early next year and I was going to have enough stays to qualify for diamond with the challenge. Now I'm wondering if I owuld be better using those stays at a different hotel where I already have status like spg, or hilton

viguera likes this.
  23. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    No more guessing.
    For the moment, the party's over.

[​IMG]

24. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Shamelessly abused" was probably an understatement!

viguera and NYCUA1K like this.
  25. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    this one just posted on Running with Miles :

http://runningwithmiles.boardingarea.com/confirmed-hyatt-diamond-challenge-dead/

Yesterday, there were a lot of mentions about the news that the Hyatt Diamond Challenge had been pulled. I reached out to Hyatt’s Gold Passport corporate department to get some confirmation. This morning, I received this reply:

We appreciate the overwhelming enthusiasm for Hyatt Diamond elite status. The Diamond trial promotion that began on May 1, 2014 has run its course and has been discontinued as of October 31. We very much appreciate all of our members who were able to take advantage of this promotion and have continued to stay with Hyatt throughout the year. We are currently evaluating the best path forward with these types of promotions.