No More Expiration Date on SkyMiles

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by mersk862, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got the email, way to go DL

I hope this is a trendsetter for all programs

Although CO has a policy, its not enforced but I "think" this makes it the first of the majors to have this as a policy

Hello Phineas,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You now can earn miles without worrying if and when they will expire as we have eliminated our mileage expiration policy - no asterisk, no fine print, no ifs, ands or buts.

So regardless of your future SkyMiles activity, redeem your miles whenever you want for Award Travel to 350+ worldwide destinations, car rentals, hotel stays, newspapers, magazines and one-of-a-kind auction packages.

We are proud to be the only major U.S. carrier without mileage expiration.

Visit delta.com to learn more about your SkyMiles benefits and explore the many ways you can earn and use your miles.

You're the reason we fly,

Traveller likes this.
  3. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope it catches on! This is a great move by DL.

4. Traveller
    Original Member

Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    No email for me yet. I got a rock! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Great move, but makes me wonder what gives!?!

6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news for me and I think an outstanding move for Delta. I really like when an airline takes the lead on something to stand out from the crowd!

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd advise all to take this with a grain of salt, though, since Delta lies like a rug. They made a similar promise some years back, then proceeded blithely to break it later, and when people (including Randy) complained they pointed to the part in the terms & conditions that said Delta reserves the right to change them unilaterally.

8. Me too. It must a be a pre-cursor to another round of increases to get an award.
    Its just too generous :p

9. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate the fact that my first reaction was, "Cool. Now what are they going to take away?"

Terrible Flash Vision - Your miles won't expire but the older they are the less they will get you. Any miles that are 3 years old or less will equal 1 mile. Miles that are 3-5 years old will be worth .75 miles, miles 5-7 years old will be worth .5 miles....... AAAAAAAHHHHHHH. Make it stop. [​IMG]

10. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much meaningless for most of us but must have great meaning for someones.

11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the email also - I really hope they start a trend!

ben regelshore and Cholula like this.
  12. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is pretty much all upside with little downside IMO.

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great business move because it enhances their brand and loyalty. Now you don't have to worry about trying to maintain some activity to keep your miles and may even fly them more specifically because all miles earned will be kept. This is especially good for non-frequent flyers who might have originally just picked the cheapest ticket but now may actually want to go with Delta for all of their trips.

Of course, this is only good if it differentiates them from the pack so if the other airlines decide to make the same move, I can see all of them deciding to go back and re-instituting their 18 or 24 month expiration policies.

ben regelshore likes this.
  14. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup - moi. 3 Delta accounts in the family that are used infrequently, so keeping tabs on them took a bit of my time. I just updated them all with iTunes purchases. I hope this policy sticks, as it is a convenience.

Pharaoh likes this.
  15. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've got to say, it takes very little work to keep miles active with most airlines. So for those paying attention, a $1.29 iTunes purchase through the right portal does the trick. Yeah, it's a pain, but it's not really onerous.

So maybe they figured, anyone who cares about the miles will just take this pretty simple step, so why make everyone bother?

OTOH, this could cost them a fortune. But if others DON'T match the deal, they could come out pretty far ahead.

16. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Watch for higher redemption rates... I don't like this at all.

Tenmoc likes this.
  17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is hard to understand because it looks like a giveaway to some kettles. If award tickets are available, why would DL wish to give them to some hypothetical person who flies once every three years, using WN or whatever for annual vacations in other years? Moreover, DL can control award availability but they apparently don't have capacity controls on other redemptions, such as for gift cards, which do cost DL some money (as opposed to the small marginal cost of giving away a seat that would otherwise be empty or filled by a nonrev).

18. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am cynical as I wish to see what they will take away (perhaps the 25k awards , first class upgrade awards ....)

19. Mike1625
    Original Member

Mike1625 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a minority here. I think this could be really bad. This means that all the miles will be on the books forever.

This means somewhere down the line they realize they have so many more miles on the books than anyone else (assuming the others don't follow them) and then there is only one logical thing to do, devalue the miles.

Delta is my first choice, so I never worry about miles expiring. So I want them to be as valuable as possible.

I hope I am wrong and this is just a blessing to the infrequest DL customers, but I worry that my miles may have just been set up for the next devaluing.

Tenmoc, aitchly and Gargoyle like this.
  20. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for my extended family members who don't fly as often. Which airlines will be the first to follow DL?

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. Phineas
    Original Member

Phineas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would find it hard to believe that airlines do not take some miles off the top of their balance sheet as an allowance for not redeemed miles, sort of like an allowance for uncollectable accounts receivable. They must know what percent of the miles are likely to never be redeemed, what number of accounts have no where near enough miles to redeem for anything other than SI for kids and those sort of metrics. I'm sure that DL has analyzed this to the nth degree and know what they are doing when it comes to a financial reporting hit. The upside of being able to publicize this to the Kettles will win them new customers

22. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This basically reinstates the NW policy of no expiration.

23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe no one will follow DL. Remember, DL is the only airline with rollover.

24. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture and see what this does for the perception of their brand in the marketplace. Although I try never to fly Southwest unless it's the cheapest by a mile, anyone who has flown them can see that they have done a better job of creating goodwill amongst their passengers than almost any other airline. Delta is looking at the business just like American is.... how do I minimize the perception that my service is a commodity?