No more E+ going to Maui

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, May 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking to book tickets to Maui for July and noticed all our usual mid-day flights that we take on 767 or 777 aircraft have been replaced with 757's out of LAX and SFO...then I looked at the seating chart. It looks like they are old CO aircraft with the only E+ available in the exit and bulkhead. Also appears to be the case on the night flights too. Seems like a very long haul to make people do in E- and on a narrow body aircraft. It also sucks that my +1 nowadays is only a few months old so that means no exit rows. I think this is dumb move for United. There is a lot of competition going to the islands and the comfort of their E+ product was very unique and is what kept me coming back vs. flying AS or someone else which is usually cheaper and faster. NorCal-OGG is a regular route for me so this is not a change that I like!

Gargoyle and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hawaii flights seem to be taken over by CO out of LAX as the signage sends them (and BWI) to T6...

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I knew about the move to T6, which is where they used to be back in the day anyway (circa late 90's, early 2000's maybe) It's like going back in time. T6 and no E+. What's next? Bringing back 500 miles certs?

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA management still does not get it. AS keeps adding flights to Maui for a reason.

Flyer1976 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take THAT, you over-entitled elite. Why not give AS a try from one of your smaller airports, nonstop, if that is an option for you. If you are going to be stuck in a narrow-body plane with crappy seats, the smaller the better. (And their FA/pax ratio is good on the 738s.) You'll also get low-tier AS status pretty easily. They'll even give you a free mai tai before your Hawaiian landing.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every 752 flown by the company has E+. The 753s are getting it soon.

And T6 really isn't all that different from T7.

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I status matched with them last year when they were running a 25,000 bonus promo and flew direct SMF-OGG. Nice product (I even got upgraded) and the FA's were extremely friendly. Unfortunately I didn't make enough trips to keep that status so it was back to United. But yeah, I was kind of thinking the same thing...the way things are going with (not) getting companion upgrades, if I am going to fly a narrow body in E-, it might as well be a direct flight.

P.S. don't even get me started on what they did to the United mai tai!

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not as soon as I would like (as in July). I would gladly sacrifice a few hundred miles to fly out via SFO on a wide body plane in E+ in the event that our UDU's don't clear, but they are using 753's on that route now too. :(

The T7-T6 thing doesn't really bother me unless I have a tight connection, but then I like to walk :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really don't understand why someone without status on United would choose the fly them over the competition, especially if they take away E+. From observation, these flights are typically very light on elites, so I think it is safe to say most of them get upgraded, and the few who are left without kids get to sit in E+ exit rows, so that means the E- product United is offering to the general public is the same (or worse) than the other airlines, and usually at a higher price. Dumb.

10. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, even more incentive to go AS and get AA miles in the process adding to my status with them next year (already status matched with them for this year as well). Was thinking about heading over in September with mom again. Unless upgrade was possible, the AS flights are about $300 less right now for the same time period.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  11. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're actively putting E+ in the 757-300s now and the 752s already have it. Even if the route starts w/a few non-E+ flights it won't be for long.

12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news for sure, but any 757 still sucks compared to the wide bodies they used to fly.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd take the sCO 752 over the sUA 763 or 772 domestic configs any day of the week, solely for the IFE options.

14. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    But they are not flying the 752s to Hawaii.

And yes, let's compare a domestic config plane to an international config.

Jslo, Lufthansa Flyer and hulagrrl210 like this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was about to say, the last COdbaUA 757 I flew on didn't have an IFE! I want my ghetto-bird back! :(

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The 753s have IFE comparable to the 763s and 772s. So you're no worse and potentially better. Not really horrible IMO.
    There should be no 757s with no IFE. What specific type of aircraft were you on?

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    People! :p The ETOPs 753s, the ones that will be used on the Hawaii routes, are getting E+ now... 3 have been converted and another is in LAX right now being converted. The seat maps will be updated soon enough.

Your flight in July will have E+.

jetsetboy, msv, desamo and 4 others like this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might be right, and I very well could have been on a 737. Anyway, I'm sure Directv reception is really good over the middle of the Pacific. ;)

Gargoyle, desamo and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  19. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still beats 767/777 IFE (and the 753 too) since you will still have a choice between several movies rather than being stuck to what is featuring on the overhead screens.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll take a choice of several movies at my seat over no choice on the overhead monitor. Oh, and power at my seat, too, on the 73s.

21. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take the view out the window and the comfort of the larger aircraft. I do have to admit in-seat power is pretty nice though. :)

Gargoyle and desamo like this.
  22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Especialy SMF/OGG v a stop in SFO or LAX - you'll only earn a few hundred extra miles each way, and add no less than 3 hours to your trip each way. Also, I've never understood why a packed widebody is any more comfortable than a narrow body, assuming the same IFE, lavatory ratio, etc. I also wonder why people get more "worked up" over the aircraft on a Hawaii route v. a transcon route, when the transcons can be longer than the Hawaii flights.

Meanwhile, I'm off to Hawaii on AS tomorrow ;)

23. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I care because I fly to Hawaii a lot more than I fly transcon ;)
    I personally prefer the wide bodies, aside from E+, because of the seating configuration (2 seats by the window) and because I don't like getting stranded for long periods of time on either side of the food and beverage cart which seems to be more of a problem on the single aisle aircraft.

I'm somewhat close to MM on UA, otherwise I'd be flying AS a lot more too. Anyway, enjoy your trip! :)

Gargoyle and desamo like this.
  24. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't UA ruining the 777 with a 3-3-3 config?

Of course, I will now qualify all of my comments to "travel in 2012 and the recent past" because much of my island travels were on 3-cabin UA planes, often upstairs in a 742 and from time to time, in the nose F cabin, back when the C service now would be considered some ultra luxurious F service in 2012.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  25. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I've sat in the back of one to Maui, but the 777's they used to use were all 2-4-2. You know I actually remember the old 742's! (I was a kid). One of my best flights ever on UA was on one SFO-HNL right before the retired it (lots of duct tape but amazing service). Anyway, they never flew them to Maui because of the shorter (7,000 ft) runway so most of my travel was on the DC-10. Yeah, I've been with UA way too long! ;)