No more complimentary guest access..

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Ed Ip, Jan 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received the following email from Delta and I've been "ok" with all the changes up to this point. This latest round of enhancement is really starting to piss me off. Specifically, the no more complimentary guest access to lounge via credit/charge card is just maddening.

--
    We hope you're enjoying your Delta Sky Club® experience, including more than $50 million in recent investments in expanded seating, renovated Clubs in Atlanta, New York-LGA and Los Angeles, the opening of the New York-JFK Terminal 4 flagship Club and The Sky DeckSM at Delta Sky Club at New York-JFK and Atlanta.

Even with these investments, we occasionally hear that overcrowding can be an issue. To maintain the Club's exclusive atmosphere, the following changes are being introduced:

• Effective immediately, membership price is $695 annually. This Executive Membership will continue to allow two complimentary guests.
    • For those customers who rarely need guest access, an Individual Membership at the current rate of $450 will be introduced Spring 2014. This membership will allow guest access for $29 per visit.
    • Beginning May 1, 2014, all customers who receive complimentary Delta Sky Club access as a benefit of their eligible credit or charge card will no longer receive complimentary guest access. A $29 fee per guest will apply.
    If you are an existing Club member, you now have an Executive Membership for the duration of your current membership agreement.
    --

2. nicolelmiller3

nicolelmiller3 Active Member

Status Points:
    I was just thinking the same thing. Being a diamond million miler means nothing anymore. I love how they always thank us for our loyalty. I wish they'd start showing their gratitude.

3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To compensate for the garbage swill we serve we will raise the price even more. (After all we don't want to give away too much Miller Lite and $3/box wines.)

4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was stunned and disappointed to see this. How much in free coffee/drinks does DL really think a guest consumes? Really? This is showing loyalty to your customer base? I am still thinking whether or not to write to DL about this. I could see the higher price getting complimentary "luxury" bar, but this? Pathetic.

Gargoyle, anileze and chaz4449 like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have led wit the 50%+ rate hike, not the no more free guests with an AmEx card angle. This sucks just about any way you slice it, other than being a single Diamond who never travels with friends or co-workers.

Davescj, Gargoyle and DiverDave like this.
  6. Ed Ip

Ed Ip Silver Member

Status Points:
    The price hike wasn't even on my radar since I never bought and have no intention of having a paid membership; I have the Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve which have been more than sufficient. :)

If crowd control is the true intention, which we know it is not, how about just 1 complimentary guest and not 2. They can also go even further by sticking to the 1 guest rule regardless of age (i.e. family with kids will be out of luck). No guest is a bit heavy-handed.

Davescj and Gargoyle like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you have paid for it, just indirectly. ;)

Like I said, there is one very narrow passenger demographic which benefits from this. Nearly everyone loses. Except for Delta, of course.

Gargoyle and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Muahahaha! Welcome, muchachos/as to the airline that "has your back." Never has the slogan been more appropriate.

Glad I dropped out of DL's rat race. Watching from the sidelines here as a kettle (well, MM/FO, same thing really) is much more entertaining and because I have zero expectations of value from the SM progam, it is not able to disappoint me by underachieving. I didn't renew my SC membership after bolting to CO in 2009. But I used the money saved for other useful and fun things...including for instance buying numerous RGN tickets and riding TPAC/TATL in BE, whereupon I achieved SC access anyway.... now that's what Jeff himself might call Jeff Robbo style.:p

This kind of rescission only works in the current market condition, in which DL's inertia and management hubris - fueled by their early successes - face no real competition. When the new entrants or smaller airlines can begin their expansion and directly attack the monoliths, things will begin to turn. Imagine if AS acquired widebodies and began ATL service.... even some DL apologists will agree this will benefit almost everyone except Vader himself.

Now, to sum up. I know this opinion comes from far out of left field and could shock even experienced readers of this board.

So. Put down your drinks. Here we go....

IT IS:

[​IMG] MEJOR EN SU CLASE [​IMG]

Davescj, DiverDave and uggboy like this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do wonder about families. I'm thinking this new rule might significantly reduce the number of children in the lounges? -- which is either a very good or very bad thing, depending if you travel with children or not ;). Children do sometimes detract from the supposedly quiet/unhectic surroundings, on the other hand, there is nothing serene about moist clubs these days anyhow.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just talked with the Lounge Queens here in MSP FnG club. They got the email the same time we did (no notice). This is in direct response of 1) Complaints of Overcrowding and 2) the clubs need to make $$ (I did not list these in any particular order!!!)

This really brings into quesiton the value of the Reserve card for families, because as a DM, the only benefit of the Reserve is a greatly restricted companion ticket. They also have no information what the upcharge from the "Standard" to the "Executive" level will cost.

I have stated all along, and have even told DL, they need to remove the Club access as part of the DM benefits. This will have the effect of reducing overcrowding and the even better effect of removing a lot of DYKWIA from the lounge. Honestly, if they reduce the population in the club, and that results in an increase in the product, I have a hard time not supporting it. The problem is, past history has told us that DL will not bring back or introduce better product.

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've read a multitude of complaints on many sights about the changes. If people boycott the club for long enough, perhaps they will see the light. If people merely complain while continuing to pay for the membership and using the club, there will be no incentive to return to the old rates.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  12. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I notice they didn't mention a "purchase for xxxxx SlyMiles". I wonder if that means--Cash Only...

13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    DM are covered, just no cost info.
    So, how much is a mile worth?

DiverDave likes this.
  14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read this too fast the first time, I thought it means the primary card holder had to pay, but now I see its only for guests, so in my case with two cards, one for me and one for my wife, it has no impact.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You can still buy with miles but the rates went up.
    [​IMG]

Diamonds will be able to upgrade from Individual to Executive as one of their Choices awards starting next year.

DiverDave likes this.
  16. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This will really help limit the numbers as the credit cards users will only get one person instead of an entire family in to a club. I'm all for this change!

anileze and LETTERBOY like this.
  17. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like me, though I drop to Plat on 3/1. My current membership is good until 2022 as I Used my Plat Amex credit towards a couple of 3 year renewals.

David

anileze likes this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm.... While at first I wasn't thrilled with the changes (and certainly will try my best to hit Amex up for some sort of retention credit, similar to the $500 they cut me after the AA changes), the more and more I think of this, this has got to cut at least 20% of the DL lounge traffic. Maybe more, particularly at holidays.

That might end up being not so bad.

anileze likes this.
  19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a non-trivial part of the equation for them. They know there is elasticity in demand, and they will see fewer visits, while perhaps making more money.

20. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they thinned the crowd and then offered better drinks and food, I'd be thrilled. But thinner crowds with worse selections, I just don't get it. I'm not going to buy alcohol in the SC, sorry, it's not going to happen.

(And yes, I technically "get" what they are doing, I just don't think it in any way goes along with the whole world class thing or in any way incentivizes anyone to pay more for access. Want someone to pay more? Make them WANT to buy it)

21. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their problem seems to be the opposite of people not wanting to buy the product -- too many buyers at the current price. Therefore, one would expect the price to go up, thus reducing the number of buyers while maintaining, or increasing, revenue. I've never been in a Skyclub (except the third-party, multicarrier lounge in MXP) so I don't know if they're really all that crowded but if they are, obviously Delta isn't charging enough for whatever service (lousy or not) that they're providing.

22. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The root of both problems (overcrowding and $) is that it is a DM benefit. I am a DM and as I have always stated, remove the benefit and keep everything else the same and IMO, both problems solve themselves. I think there is to few "real" buyers at the current price.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    anileze likes this.
  23. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always felt like it was the credit card but maybe I'm wrong. At least the DMs fly a lot to earn it.

anileze likes this.
  24. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that DMs fly alot, they are not "paying" for it (unless there is some internal accounting, and then it is one pocket to another). The credit cards have outside payment of some sort.

25. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess my logic is to reward the airlines best customers, not people with credit cards but I agree with what you are saying.

I'm totally okay with fewer guests being allowed. I just want the better booze back lol

Gargoyle and USAF_Pride like this.