No More Business Award Seats?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by Florida12345, Jul 26, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Florida12345

Florida12345 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I've been looking trying to find a Qantas Business Class Award seat from LAX to anywhere in AU. I've looked at Alaska Air and American Air. I've looked as far as 11 months ahead. The searches show Business Class availability, but all the results show Coach seating. Usually its something like Coach LAX to BNE, then Business BNE to SYD.

Is it official that Qantas is no longer having Business Class seating for Business Class Awards on the long-haul flights?

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.

They have long been and continue to be very rare. I would not count on finding much of anything. Virgin Australia, bookable with delta miles, tends to be much more available most of the time.

NYBanker and traveltoomuch like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australia awards are one of the toughest ones to find. I have SFO-LAX-BNE-MEL in May, 2016, followed by SYD-SFO in late May which I booked before they hit the AA website (were showing on both Qantas and Expert Flyer and I booked via phone with an AA agent). Australia has always been a tough award. Qantas does release seats throughout the year and you might still have a chance. I did find a seat last year via an Expert Flyer alert for a friend, and she was able to lock that seat in before it disappeared. That option limits you to 30 specific flights, though, and with the various routings into Australia you might only be able to cover yourself for 2-3 days in each direction. I did that for May 2015 flights and nothing ever opened. The other option with EF is to store flight queries that cover 7 days at a time that you can check every day to see what appears.

Limit your multi-day searches to the U.S. gateway (LAX to SYD/MEL/BNE or DFW to SYD) and then backpedal to add domestic segments. You also have options from HNL to SYD on Qantas. Last year I initially found flights from Sacramento to LAX, but nothing from SFO to LAX, so booked from Sacramento. I was able to change that to SFO later on, retaining my Qantas flights, but only due to a schedule change for the domestic segment and an agent that worked around that to move my departure airport.

timfrost and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best place to look would be on the Qantas website or perhaps JAL. and no it is not true that QF has eliminated business class awards.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the case.

6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition it says you are a new member but its against the rules on MP to post the exact same question wording and all in three different forums. You didnt expect a different answer did you?:)

7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not the case at all...I've seen a dozen seats total over just the last few days in my searches for clients...they are there, you just have to have persistence, flexibility, and patience.

8. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    And I'd like to congratulate the OP for making the first post to appear on the QF board for 4 months and 20 days.

SYD likes this.
  9. Florida12345

Florida12345 New Member

Status Points:
    "And I'd like to congratulate the OP for making the first post to appear on the QF board for 4 months and 20 days."
    Well, that's me all over, a regular Pathfinder... :)

"Not the case at all...I've seen a dozen seats total over just the last few days in my searches for clients"
    Unless its a trade secret, where do you normally search?

I think what led to my concern of Business Class seats was the fact that all the rewards seats I saw were along the lines of Coach LAX to BNE, then Business BNE to SYD, which were shown on the AA or AS searches as "Business Class". Which led me to believe that Qantas was no longer releasing BC seats for their long-haul flights, just their short puddle-jumpers and calling that a BC "itinerary".

As regards my multiple posting of the same question, guilty. Won't happen again.

Thanks all for the replies.

10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a hard time, I have 6 tickets I booked LAX to Sydney. I booked at the earliest times (I think 11 months or more). On different days I was able to find 1 Business class on some days. The best I found was 2 of them on Christmas. It was a lot of searching....months for me to find and they went quickly, if I stalled trying to do a combo of some kind I would lose them. Good luck, they do exist but you must be very flexible.