No more Bonus night via CC Visa Card

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by edekba, Apr 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes this is a disappointment. But I can not say it surprises me, the offer was fairly good and thus it seemed likely that it would not last.

3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Loss Leader to get more members in CC + more clients in US Bank's Credit program. I get it ... but 2 yrs and they have enough? Maybe it was too much of a Loss?

marcwint55, daninstl and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad and I just finished a two-night award stay this morning. That night was worth 38,000 points. I haven't really had many chances to use this feature, but was hoping to find more opportunities this year and next due to changes in travel pattern. Perhaps a "cap" on the number of free bonus nights would have been a better "fix" but I guess it is what it is... :-/

Looking at the balances in my and my wife's account and my spending pattern, it's unlikely I will aim to reach the $10,000 this year.

icurhere2, cvsara, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly.

daninstl and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    daninstl likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish they would have just limited it instead or even gone to a stay 2 nights and get one free or something weaker. It's all or nothing with them as I can't imagine putting $10k in spend on this card.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just got an email with the official announcement.

"Beginning June 1, 2015, you can earn a Free Night, good at any Carlson Rezidor hotel in the U.S. "

Note the "in the U.S." part.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    She wrote:

"That is a VERY generous promotion to help lessen the blow."

I don't think that is VERY generous (or even just very generous) given that my bonus night last night saved me literally 38,000 points (or $270).

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. daniel caplette

daniel caplette Member

Status Points:
    Do you get the 30,000 on a reservation already booked, that you haven't stayed at yet?

12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is because many of us have spouses with cards and were getting 50% of the entire stay for free by alternating reservations between spouses.

edekba likes this.
  13. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Over in Belgium and Netherlands we don't even have any hotel related credit card sign ups... Lot of peeps in the US are lucky with these huge bonuses.

icurhere2 and edekba like this.
  14. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    or unlucky since since we have these huge bonuses we also have a lot more people in debt/broke/bankrupt than EU.

15. daniel caplette

daniel caplette Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget the whole idea of free night awards is to get people to their properties. It's no good to Club Carlson if hotel rooms are not filled. Sure some high end properties are probably booked solid...New York City etc., but they usually limit the amount of rewards used anyway. Like any good advertiser would tell you the idea is to get you there. People have to spend money in the hotel or locally, this is the basic economic driver.

Most U.S. Properties are not considered that high end anyhow. I will probably end up canceling this card and switch to chain with more locations to fill my travel needs.

16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently I realized the free night for 10k is on the U.S. That has zero attraction for me. I see the value with club Carlson in EU properties. The card might retain it's value due to the annual bonus but not for spend.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call it zero for me - I just saved $270 a night at a country Inn in Silicon Valley by booking a two night award. So 38,000 points for two nights, $270 each. But yes, it is a significant limitation, and I won't spend $10k in the card in anticipation of such an award stay. So I will consider canceling the card when the next fee comes due (that will be a while, the 40k bonus just posted a few months ago). I will communicate US Bank customer service that I am not happy about this change, that the free night isn't a replacement, and that they will likely lose me as a customer. At the very least it's now in the safe and won't see why action.

icurhere2 and iolaire like this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read that they'll give you 2500 points just for complaining. (Forgot where though)

icurhere2 likes this.
  19. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found a Country Inn by Carlson in Millville NJ to stay at this summer well attending a wedding closer to the shore... So on the positive side the 30K bonus * 2 for $200 (wife + I one night each) will have good value in Europe next summer.

IDGflygirl and icurhere2 like this.
  20. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you have any stays where you can pick up the 30k * 2 before or after the wedding? Can still book the two nights in Millville for 15,000 (total) with the last night free (just book before June).

21. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it rates in DC will be much higher so it makes sense to me to do it then since I have to get the nights anyway.

icurhere2 likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Got this reply from US Bank:

Good afternoon and thank you for contacting U.S. Bancorp Service Center, Inc. via our Website.

Please let us begin by extending an apology for any inconvenience or confusion that this matter may have created for you. We understand that you are concerned about the Bonus Award Night benefit being removed as a redemption option from the Carlson program, Oliver. We will be happy to address this matter. The decision to remove this benefit from the rewards program was made by Club Carlson. U.S. Bank does not have control of changes made to the Club Carlson rewards program. As of 6/1/2015, you will be unable to redeem the Bonus Award Night benefit. However, redemptions placed prior to 6/1/2015 will still be honored, regardless of the reservation date.

Instead of a bonus night, you will earn a Free Night E-Certificate after spending $10,000 in a twelve month period and payment of the Annual Fee. Please be advised that once you pay the Annual Fee each year, you will receive 40,000 bonus points. The bonus points will be awarded six to eight weeks after the Annual Fee is paid.

Your Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature® account will earn ten Gold Points per $1.00 in net purchases made at participating Carlson Rezidor Hotels, and five Gold Points per $1.00 in net purchases made everywhere else Visa is accepted. Net Purchases means purchases minus credit or returns. You can review your redemption options online at www.clubcarlson.com by clicking on the Redeem link that appears at the top of the page. In addition, you can redeem your Club Carlson Gold Points by calling 888-288-8889.

As a valued customer, we have awarded your account with 2,500 Gold Points. You will see these bonus rewards reflected on your statement within two billing periods.

We appreciate that you have chosen us as your banking partner and hope that you will continue to allow us to be of service to you. Have a nice day.

----

be sure to flood them with complaints.

adl73x, edekba and icurhere2 like this.